cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

BT TV pro box SPDIF audio output

Go to solution

Merry Christmas!

I’m trying to help my old man get a new Sonos Beam (Gen 2) to work with a BT TV Pro box and an old Pioneer TV from 2008 (KRL-37V).

TV is way too old for HDMI ARC but does have an SPDIF output.

The BT TV pro box is connected to the TV via HDMI which works fine including audio.

I have tried connecting the Sonos Beam to either the SPDIF outputs of the TV or the BT TV pro box but the Beam never detects the audio which just continues to come from the TV speakers no matter what I do. This is using and HDMI cable and SPDIF adapter that came with the Sonos Beam.

The TV does not have a way to set the audio output to SPDIF specifically, I’ve gone through the TV manual in detail and even got into the TV service mode. 

I have set the SPDIF output on the BT box to ‘Surround’ but this did not help (tried with both the HDMI audio set to ‘Stereo’ or ‘Surround’ at the same time just to try everything). There does not appear to be a way to force the BT TV pro box to use the SPDIF audio output only and not the HDMI that is feeding directly into the TV along with the picture.

No matter what I do the Sonos Beam never detects the audio during the ‘TV setup’ process it takes you through.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

Chris

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT TV pro box SPDIF audio output

Go to solution

Have you tried both audio formats on the TV?

rbz5416_0-1671998322408.png

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

I found those same instructions for the TV in the manual online, but the option is not there in the one we have. The TV ‘Options’ menu does not have the ‘digital audio’ sub menu, although it’s definitely that model of tv from the sticker on the back it, and the optical port is there on the back with the red light.  Regional differences in the model perhaps.

I’ve given up on the TV so I’m hoping it can be done somehow with the BT TV pro box since that is a recent bit of hardware.

Thanks

Chris

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Forgive the sanity check but as it doesn't work with either TV or Pro Box, have you removed the plastic cap from the optical connector? Around 2 mins in here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2V0m6dfIME

If you have the maybe the adapter is faulty. I think you'd probably be better off on Sonos' forums for assistance.

Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Embarrassingly, you are spot on :))))))) hahaha! To think my Dad had spent hours speaking to Sonos and multiple back and forth emails to the point they said it is not compatible and to send it back, and nobody thought of this….

Immediately worked perfectly after removing the cap with no bother.

We much appreciate that late Christmas gift! Top man (or women)!