cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

BT WHW Premium - AX 3700 3 disc. Any changes on main disc causes mesh system to drop

Go to solution

Hello all, 

As mentioned in the subject, I have a BT Premium WHW 3 disc system in my home. My ISP is Virgin Media M100 package with a VM Hub 3.0. 

As per guidelines, I had setup the system with the main disc connected via ethernet cable to the VM hub. The other 2 discs once setup are spread out on the ground floor of the house to provide a better wi-fi. The SSID on the BT WHW and VM Hub 3.0 is the same. I am unable to disable the wifi on the VM hub for some reason now because the even after disabling the wifi on the hub, for some reason it starts back up again automatically. I reached out to VM tech support and they said it is not possible to disable the wifi without putting the hub in modem mode. So between December 2020 when I installed the WHW in my home and Feb end early March, since I started having issues with connectivity, something has changed on the hub which VM are willing to accept. 

I am aware that both the systems will clash with their respective SSID's being broadcast, so the only work around I have, unless advised otherwise, I have left the hub's SSID as default, changed the SSID on the WHW system to the one I want for my network. Also I have disabled the wifi signal being broadcast, so hopefully that should avoid the clashes. I know this is a temporary solution and I would need to invest in a router so I can put the hub in modem mode. 

Now my issue is that everytime, my wifi crashed, I have to do a factory reset on the VM hub and also the BT WHW discs. Apart from taking up a lot of time, it also becoming tedious because I have to apply changes on the BT WHW discs one by one. Every time, I apply a change on the WHW say as changin the SSID or activating the guest network, the connection with the hub/bb connection is lost. I have tried restarting the hubs soft reset, to no avail, in the end I have to do a factory reset which as explained above, if I am lucky I am able to get it configured in about 4-5 hours. Apart from time consuming and a bit of a waste, I know I would much rather be in front of my tele watching some entertainment or anything apart from configuring the system. 

I have already sent the logs from the devices to the help team, and awaiting feedback from them. I have no timeframe of when they will reply back, so reaching out in the hope that someone here will be able to guide me on what to do. Last resort these shiny discs are returned back which I think BT will decline as its over a month since I got them. I feel this is an awful waste of my near enough £280. The discs are just an pretty trophy wife for me right now, sitting pretty on the walls. 

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
- James Dean
0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: BT WHW Premium - AX 3700 3 disc. Any changes on main disc causes mesh system to drop

Go to solution

I have a hub 3 and premium 3 disc BT system and I've been able to disable the WiFi.  Seems to stay disabled after a reboot but I am experiencing issues with the main disc restarting regularly and have had to do a factory reset where for some reason it hung.

VM called me to offer me a super hub 4 as a free upgrade so going to try that next week 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: BT WHW Premium - AX 3700 3 disc. Any changes on main disc causes mesh system to drop

Go to solution

Hey @bigmick777 I had an engineer come round after this post. He also agreed it was wierd that the Hub would restart the wifi after being set as off. He replaced the hub for a like for like. I went through the process of setting it all up. Disabled the wifi. Lo and behold by morning, hub wifi back on and BT mesh just crashes. 

I was able to pinpoint it down to a f/w update from VM for hub3.0 which was installed in March and the issues started a little while later. 

I have now been able to leave VM and moving over to Sky FTTP. For the future I am thinking of installing my own router for effective resource usage. 

I think the issue could be with the discs, so will close this post an reach out to Tech Support

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
- James Dean
0 Ratings