cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jasontrk
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

BT Whole Home - 6 Discs - Connect each via ethernet from router/switch?

Go to solution

Hi, 

I am looking to get about 6 discs for my 4000 sq foot home. I am with Virgin Broadband 350mb. I'm looking to achieve max speeds via wi-fi. Will I run into any problems running ethernet cables from a router/switch to each Disc? I noticed other threads where people had issues with the previous firmware and that connecting more than one device with an ethernet cable would change primary/master around. Would this be a problem? 

Also, would devices automatically switch to the closest disc when moving to another room in the house?

Thanks. 

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Whole Home - 6 Discs - Connect each via ethernet from router/switch

Go to solution

As this is a BT Retail customer forum, for BT Broadband customers, you are more likely to get a reply on the Virgin Media User forum.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?advanced=false&allow_punctuation=...

0 Ratings
johnsm1ffey
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Re: BT Whole Home - 6 Discs - Connect each via ethernet from router/switch?

Go to solution

I have 3 discs all connected via ethernet, they work absolutley fine - pretty much rock solid bar the occasional reboot. I have seen the master switch around but it doesn't seem to adversly impact performance, devces switching between discs is seamless - I walk around the house using wificalling on my iphone and the calls never miss a beat.

Can't see why 6 discs should perform any differently, just make sure that they all connect via a gigabit ethernet switch.

I have switched off wifi on my router just to keep things nice and clean.

0 Ratings
jasontrk
Beginner
Message 4 of 4

Re: Whole Home - 6 Discs - Connect each via ethernet from router/switch

Go to solution

Thanks, I took it to the virgin community and most advised me to buy Ubiquiti instead of BT Whole Home. 

0 Ratings