Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Sircoynie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

BT Whole Home Bottleneck?

Hi All,

Apologies if this is a dumb question?

I have BT ultrafast fibre plus 2 and get 306Mb/52Mb Download/Upload respectively from my hub to the isp.

However, when testing “speed to this device” in the app I get only ~165Mb when connected via my whole home Wi-fi setup. I know Wi-fi normally drops around 10% or so but this is a much bigger difference and interestingly when I connect to the smart hub’s Wi-fi directly I get around 250Mb’s.

Any suggestions to why there is such a huge difference? Thanks

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
lnajr02
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT Whole Home Bottleneck?

The speed of the Whole Home master disc in my view should match the HUB’s speed as it connected to the HUB by Ethernet, Check out the Ethernet cable.
The Max speeds of Whole home are:
• 2.4GHz: 800Mbps
• 5GHz: 1733Mbps)
Are you using 5GHz or 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi to connect?
If it’s a problem when connected to the 2nd or 3rd disc, what’s your signal strength you can find this out from the APP and disc details?
One other question: what device are you using to test this and do other devices have the same problem? it could be a Wi-Fi driver compatibility issue?
Sircoynie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Hi, so the master disk is getting around 90% of the hub speed at ~260Mbps on average.

I then have 4 other discs all with connections rated excellent at around -53 to -70 connected via the Wi-fi backhaul directly to the master disc, when connecting directly to each disc via Ethernet I am only getting around 150Mbps which is ~50% my hub speed?

0 Ratings
lnajr02
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 11

Question what firmware version has the Whole Home discs?
It may help is you try the latest Early Adopter version
I would try this:
1. Go to http://mybtdevice.home on a device connected to Whole Home Wi-Fi
2. Log in with the admin password when prompted
3. Select System then Firmware update
4. Check and update if possible (latest version is v1.02.08 build02)

Once it's updated switch the discs off and on. Wait for the solid blue lights to come back on then check connection again. If it's still dropping out after this or you're already on this version please set the Early Adopter option on the same web login screen to Enabled then Save. Then check for updates again and update to v1.02.10 build 02.
0 Ratings
Sircoynie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Spoiler

Hi, thanks for the reply but I am not sure how it will help?

The discs aren’t dropping out, they just aren’t as quick as I believed they were going to be and I wondered if this was by design or an issue?

Regarding the firmware update: I am not sure how this will help, has their been a known bug and fix release or something?

Note: I have the latest build

Thanks again.

0 Ratings
lnajr02
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 11

New firmware early adopters version I believe has improved wi-fi drivers so could improve the disc to disc connection.
Message 7 of 11

Hi Sircoynie,

The first disc (connected by ethernet) should see the same speed as your router, but the speeds the other discs get will not be as fast and will depend on their environment. Whole-Home Wi-Fi is a dual-band product, meaning that the “backhaul” Wi-Fi connection between each disc is shared with devices. This means devices connected to the discs can see a reduced bandwidth compared to the first disc.

If absolute maximum speed is the priority on the discs, then you could consider linking the discs back to the router with an Ethernet cable if that’s practical.  You will still get the benefit of the Whole Home Wi-Fi system for devices but may lose the flexibility of Wi-Fi connection to your more remote discs.

I hope this helps?

Cheers

Matt

0 Ratings
Sircoynie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 11

Thanks for the help but this isn’t an issue with the Disc to Disc speed.

I have been doing further investigation by plugging in to the Ethernet of each disc that has a Wi-Fi back haul to the main disc and found speeds very close to my hub speed of 300mb.

However if I connect via Wi-fi to these discs and test the speed they are performing at roughly half the Wi-fi speed of ~150mb which is very odd as when I connect these same devices to my Master Disc they perform at nearly my hub speed again.

My conclusion is that the Discs are topping out at providing both a high speed Wi-Fi backhaul and Wi-Fi access connections as connecting to the Ethernet port for access reduces the bottleneck significantly more than expected if it was a Disc to Disc connection speed issue?

0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 9 of 11

Hi @Sircoynie 

To add to what @Matt-S said in his post, you are seeing this because the 1st generation Whole Home Wi-Fi discs share the same Wi-Fi radio for backbone connection to other discs and with clients, which causes the 'repeater effect' and halves the available bandwidth. I would expect if an Ethernet client gets 300Mbps, a Wi-Fi client would achieve no more than 150Mbps. 

You should move the discs slightly closer together or connect via Ethernet to increase the speeds. You may struggle to get the maximum speed of your Ultrafast line to a single client with the 1st generation Whole Home Wi-Fi but can easily distribute to multiple clients streaming simultaneously across the home.

Dan-O

0 Ratings
Sircoynie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Is there a new model that eliminates this “repeater” affect then?

Thanks

0 Ratings