cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NGM
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

BT Whole Home Connection Speed

Does anyone know when the Whole Home app shows the speed of a connected device is it showing the speed from the device to the disc it is connected to or is the the speed from the device back to first disc at the router ? 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES
wenklaw
Contributor
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT Whole Home Connection Speed

@NGMwrote:

Does anyone know when the Whole Home app shows the speed of a connected device is it showing the speed from the device to the disc it is connected to or is the the speed from the device back to first disc at the router ? 

Basing my answer on the signal strength and speed i see, I would say the device shows the speed of the first disc its connected to.  Although i could be wrong as that does seem a little pointless.  Whats really needed is 'backhaul' connection rate within the disc details on the app as well rather than good, weak or excellemt, if my suspicion is correct.

I thought the same, basically i could have a device connected to a slave disc showing as connected at 800mbps at 5ghz with a great signal -50db for example when the backhaul of the slave disc is actually using 2.4ghz with a really weak signal.  Ideally you would want signal strength to the first disc and speed to the master disc.

Bottom line is you need to check the discs status to get the full picture. 

0 Ratings
NGM
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for your input....just trying to understand and optimise speeds for data transfer not just internet. In my case my Master disc is connected by cable to a Gigabit Ethernet port on by BT SmartHub so that should be good. The slave disc says it is connected on 5GHz band at -71 but doesn't show a speed. one of the PC's involved is connected to that Slave Disc at 300MHz and the the other, (because of its wireless card), connected at 140MHz. What I know emperically is that the 300MHz connection transfers files to my NAS drive considerably faster which I suppose is what you would expect. What I am pondering is if I were to put a AC Wireless adaptor on the Slower PC, and because it would be in the same room as the slave disc, how much faster it would be. I suspect the restriction would then be the the link between the two Whole Home discs. For the cost invloved I will give it a try and report back in case anyone else is interested.

0 Ratings
NGM
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

So just an update in case anyone is interested. System is BT Smart Hub + 3 Whole Home Discs. Master disc is connected to GBit port on the router.  My PC was connected to a second disc at 144MHz. Copying a packet of files (3.42 G) from my PC to a NAS drive connected directly to the router took 7mins 50 seconds. I have now changed the PC WiFi adapter (to a TP Link Archer T9U). With the PC now connected at 2.4GHz  connection speed is 300Mhz. Copying the same data the time has reduced to 4 mins 5 seconds. Approximately half. This makes sense.....double the connection speed halve the time. Now, connecting the PC to the second disc on the 5GHz network the connection speed is reported as 1.3 GHz by both Windows and the whole Home App. Transfer of the same data has now reduced to 3mins 42 seconds. Improved again but I believe now limited by the connection speed between two Whole HomeDiscs.

Getting back to the original question it looks like the Whole Home disc reports the connection speed of the device to the disc it is connected to NOT BACK TO THE MASTER DISC. 

Hope this may be of interest to someone......

0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 5 of 6

Hi @NGM

You're right - I can confirm that the RSSI and speed listed for a device are the Rx rates from the device to the disc it is connected to - so this is the disc's perspective of the physical rate (shown as speed) and the RSSI.

Dan-O

BT Device ExpertDan O
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the thumbs up next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on BT Devices queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BT device queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
NGM
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Thanks Dan,

So is there a way, from the App, you can see the speed that the device is connected to the first disc or even the router ? (Effectively the speed at which the second disc is connected to the first disc)

I am looking into third party software which will allow me to measure this by connecting a second PC by Gbit directly to the router and sending files backwards and forwards.

At the end of the day what matters to most people is the speed that their device is connected to the Router.

0 Ratings