Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sircoynie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 51 of 113

Re: BT Whole Home Firmware v1.02.05 Build10

@jrhop

I can confirm that whilst walking around the house with the BT Whole Home App open my IOS devices are reconnecting to the nearest most logical disc (a little purple circle under each disc shows the current connection) and trying to keep a 5ghz connection.

Disabling all steering has saved me from sending these units back and they are now working as I hoped with no reconnection dropouts whilst using apps like NowTV etc whilst my devices were stationairy (the issue that I had).

It appears to me that my IOS devices have a better idea of how to manage themselves on a mesh network than my mesh network knows how to manage them and it is therefore better to turn off any steering options to reduce any conflict.

Hope this helps.
0 Ratings
jrhop
Contributor
Message 52 of 113

Thanks for the replies much appreciated. Sounds like there are some issues with the steering on the WH, will try turning off steering as suggested and try again, hopefully will fix my issues!
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 53 of 113

@Sircoynie- I said you'd get there in the end. WH isn't the only system where Apple products sometimes refuse to play nicely. Perhaps it has something to do with Apple's proprietary hardware/software.

Maybe the reason I haven't experienced issues with my iPad connecting/disconnecting is because my iPad rarely moves more than the odd yard or two (yep I'm still wedded to good old imperial measurements) from the drawer where it's kept.
0 Ratings
absolute40
Aspiring Contributor
Message 54 of 113

Does anyone have any experience of connecting devices like smart cameras to WH that specify they use 2.4Ghz only?

e.g. EZVIZ C3C

Ideally I would like to go POE but it would be a lot of hassle and extra expense running/concealing cables and buying a new POE switch as well as cameras.

0 Ratings
spiderlane
Contributor
Message 55 of 113

Hi @Jim-lad yes I'm referring to names I've chosen (like Nest Camera Garden) and so on. I'll find that the name gets allocated to a completely different device, as well as the real one. Sometimes you'll see the same device name used for several devices connected to the same and/or different discs as well as "offline devices". I've not tried the complete device name reset yet. Often the real one will get a completely differnt name too. Currently my garden Nest camera is called "Alexa Kitchen" and "Nest Camera Garden" is no longer listed anywhere even in the offline devices. 

Regarding the restarts - yes that's good thinking but pretty sure it's not the router as I'll often spot a disc restarting as I'm walking past it but wired connections and connections to other discs work perfectly. 

Cheers

Mark

0 Ratings
agaskew
Aspiring Contributor
Message 56 of 113

@Sircoyniewrote:
@jrhop

I can confirm that whilst walking around the house with the BT Whole Home App open my IOS devices are reconnecting to the nearest most logical disc (a little purple circle under each disc shows the current connection) and trying to keep a 5ghz connection.

Disabling all steering has saved me from sending these units back and they are now working as I hoped with no reconnection dropouts whilst using apps like NowTV etc whilst my devices were stationairy (the issue that I had).

It appears to me that my IOS devices have a better idea of how to manage themselves on a mesh network than my mesh network knows how to manage them and it is therefore better to turn off any steering options to reduce any conflict.

Hope this helps.

The steering 'fix' seems peculiar to Apple devices.  Thankfully I've managed to rid the house of nearly all of their junk now ... just kidding Smiley Happy ...there are a couple of iPhones kicking about somewhere.

Anyway, I've yet to have any issues whatsoever with BT WholeHome in 14 months.  Mine's a simple 3 disc setup over the house, with no groups or access control enabled, not even the guest network.  I think I dimmed the Blue LED but that's about it.   I check on these forums before any firmware update too, and greatly appreciate peoples' efforts in posting issues with new firmare.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Joe1971
Contributor
Message 57 of 113

@absolute40, Yes, my Ring Video Doorbell and Floodlight cameras are 2.4Ghz only and work really well on my Whole Home solution.  Much better than on my Sky Q hotspots.

0 Ratings
SpinelessDave
Beginner
Message 58 of 113

So foĺlowing the upgrade my mesh failed at least daily, requiring a network restart. Have done a full factory reset and new set up but this only resulted in 15 minutes uptime ! Noticed as well tjat tje reset device list option did.not.clear all.my device name entries ??
0 Ratings
Graculus
Beginner
Message 59 of 113

Why is it whenever whole home updates its firmware in the night I wake up (eventually) to red lights all round, no WiFi and have to reboot the master disc? It's happened on both updates I've had. Wouldn't be that big a deal, but I use an internet radio as my alarm!
0 Ratings
jrhop
Contributor
Message 60 of 113

Just a quick update from me, after disabling all steering my devices have been pretty solid, first time since getting the WH that I have checked devices in the morning and they are still on the network! Thanks for all that posted, much appreciated.
0 Ratings