Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
craigc88
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

BT Whole Home - Guest Network

Go to solution

Hi

Does anyone know if the guest network feature of the whole home is just offering AP isolation and is genuinely firewalled between the Main Lan and guest network.

I am asking because I was surprised to find the devices being given IP addresses from my main networks DHCP server and not on its own subnet.  I had replaced my airport extremes for the BT Whole home and even they ran the guest network on a separate subnet which allowed me to create seperate firewall rules for them.

Regards 

Craig

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Whole Home - Guest Network

Go to solution

I am sure @Dan-O wil be able to answer it, however its easy to prove. Just connect to the guest network, and then try and ping the IP address of a device connected to the main network, and see if you get a reply.

Devices can be on the same subnet, but isolated by their MAC address, like on a VLAN.

0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Hi @craigc88

The Guest Network works by only allowing traffic for outside the current subnet or to the router directly. Everything else is ignored.

BT Whole Home Wi-Fi does not replace your router and these are only access points for Wi-Fi connectivity so these functions remain within the router.

0 Ratings
craigc88
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Hi I've done some testing in both directions and can confirm it is working as suggested.  I was just surprised given other vendor implementations of guest has been on another subnet and essentially segregated from the main LAN so I don't know what devices are in the guest network and vice versa.  The whole home is different in that I can see devices on my LAN but cannot get to them.  It would be better if they were visually segregated either on another subnet so they were hidden.  But then you could always say if I wanted that then I should build a sepearate LAN myself 🙂 Thanks

0 Ratings
oakserver
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution
I think that would require the BT Whole Home Wifi kit to act as a router and issue IP addresses through DHCP.

BT WHWifi is quite different from other whole home wifi systems - some of which are not capable of working in access point mode such as Google Wifi.
0 Ratings