cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sOckhamSter
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

BT Whole Home + MacBook Pro 16" incompatibility

This issue has taken me a while to get to the bottom of due to diagnosing by trial and error. I’m concluding that there is an incompatibility between BT Whole Home’s AP Steering feature and the Apple MacBook Pro 16”.

The Symptoms: I can be working away quite happily on my MBP when all of a sudden I am unable to access anything over the network. The WiFi connection itself hasn’t dropped – the MBP still thinks it is connected to the same SSID, but I’m unable to pass any traffic over the connection. If I run ping tests to both internet and local addresses, 95% of packets are lost, with only the occasional reply suggesting something is still working. No other devices on my network have the issue including an older MacBook Pro 13” and a MacBook Air, plus dozens of various other gadgets I have scattered around – it is literally just this MBP 16”. Drop-outs would be at least daily.

Things I’ve tried:

• Setting up a separate non-BT access point and running on that: no issues at all. This was to try and prove it wasn’t just some software component running on the MBP causing the issue.
  • Unticking the ‘steering’ box against the MBP16 hostname in the device list of the web interface. Still failed.
  • Disabling legacy steering in the hidden menu. Still failed.
  • Disabling band steering in the hidden menu. Still failed.
  • Disabling AP steering in the hidden menu – no drop-outs for a week now.

I’m suspecting it’s something along the lines of BT Whole Home steering the MBP to another AP, but the MBP still thinking it’s connected to the original one which is now refusing traffic. But, the odd thing is that the Whole Home logs show that the MBP mac address did not hop between the APs, so that’s a spanner in that theory.

Anyway, for anyone else experiencing this issue - dive into the hidden steering menu and disable the AP steering option at the top.

For BT support – it’s easy to reproduce, please fix this because I don’t think that disabling steering is the best solution. Let me know if you need any other logs or anything. If I re-enable AP steering I’m bound to see the issue re-occur within 24 hours.

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
sOckhamSter
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Whole Home + MacBook Pro 16" incompatibility

Update 1: My fix didn't work, it just delayed the issue for about a week at which point it returned with a vengeance. Still no idea what's causing this. Disabling steering completely also made no difference.
0 Ratings
jnix
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Hi,

I'm experiencing similar issues with a 2020 Macbook Pro. Did you ever find a solution?

0 Ratings
sOckhamSter
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 5

I did indeed... I purchased Asus ZenWifi access points instead. Absolutely rock solid for everything ever since. 

0 Ratings
jnix
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Fair enough, but what a shame. 

Thanks for replying!

0 Ratings