Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
oakserver
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 38

BT Whole Home Premium Wifi - Ethernet Backhaul and Wireless AX

Hi,

As most are probably aware the BT WH Premium wifi only uses wireless AX only for disc to disc backhaul.

It would be a nice feature if the wireless ax connectivity could enabled for use by client devices when the backhaul is not in use, for instance, when the discs are connected via ethernet backhaul.

Is this a possibility or something that is out of the question?

37 REPLIES 37
Sircoynie
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 38

Re: BT Whole Home Premium Wifi - Ethernet Backhaul and Wireless AX

I think they need to get the thing working properly before adding any new features like this, nice though it would be.
oakserver
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 38

Yes, without a doubt. Fix the fundamental issues first.

I'm not using mine at the moment - waiting for the next firmware release that will hopefully allow these to operate as reliably as the standard BTWH.

0 Ratings
JamesBand
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 38

1. How would the BT Premium Home Wifi Mesh system fare to broadcast the Ultrafast 900 product throughout the home?

2. For a large property, would one require 6 discs?

3. Is there an issue with the Premium discs that requires constant reseting, or is that has definitely been resolved?

4. How does the BT Premium Mesh system compare to the likes of the new ASUS ZenWifi AX Mesh nodes which came out recently? The latter also has Wifi 6 for clients, but seems to be user friendly with high speeds for Wifi 5 clients also in real life tests through home walls etc according to reviews?

5. What is the maximum throughput the BT Premium Wifi can provide on its Wifi 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz band for clients?

6. Would the regular BT Home discs not be able to broadcast the full 900Mbps speed of the Ultrafast product given they lack a backhaul connection?
0 Ratings
Sircoynie
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 38

1/ It is ok, the wireless backhaul has the capability to support this speed (wifi 6) however, when connecting most devices via wifi you won't see many of them getting anything over 350/400Mbps (mainly the limitation of your devices).

2/ I have 6 discs and live in a rather large property (4 bedrooms, Snugg, Office, Living Room, Kitchen) plus Annex. 6 discs broadcast around 200Mbps on average around the house and I can walk about 30 yards away and still get signal (speed obviously drops).

Note: My discs are placed for ease of access/ethernet output placement for devices and are mainly downstairs, with 2 devices connected via ethernet backhaul to the main router and the rest via wifi backhaul. I recon I could improve coverage/speed etc if I moved them mainly upstairs but this is not ideal sadly.

3/ For me the latest update fixed this issue.

4/ Don't know - compared to the older WholeHome they appear to give a better full coverage speed (average 200Mbps as previously stated, this was around 150Mbps previously) - but they don't give me access to anything much higher than 500Mbps if using the WIFI backhaul and connecting to them via ethernet for devices such as a iMac. Sadly I was hoping for better.

5/ Around 500Mbps for me.

6/ The old system is a little different, in theory it was almost capable of similar speeds and I did see peak throughput similar to the new Premium discs.

However, even though the original was great when requesting max speed from a couple of devices, if we added more it would drop off significantly. One fix for this was to plug devices in to it via the ethernet connection as this would free up the Wifi backhaul to the main disc (as there are only 2 bands), obviously this is not ideal for most.

With Premium you don't have to worry about this as the dedicated backhaul is not affected by the amount of devices you have requesting so the throughput is more constant.

However, I do expect to see Premiums throughput improve like the original with FW updates etc as this is what happened last time.

Hope all the above makes sense and helps, would be really interesting to see how others are using their systems and what performance they are seeing?

jordanc1230
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 38

I thought based on all the sales information for it that it did offer AX connectivity but clearly not. Certainly could have fooled me with sales information saying "Tri-band AX3700 technology gives multiple users our speediest wi-fi."

0 Ratings
lnajr02
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 38

AX3700 technology is being used between discs
0 Ratings
jordanc1230
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 38

Whilst that may be clear In the forums it is not in the sales literature they use for this product it is not made clear and gives the impression you can connect AX clients to it. Personally won’t be buying premium version as don’t see much of an upgrade from original whole home other than upgraded backhaul. if anything seems like a downgrade with features from original version only available in unknown future updates.

JamesBand
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 38

Sircoynie, thanks, that's helpful!

1/ Yes that's what I'm wondering. It sounds like the wireless backhaul is excellent and thus will improve the speed you'll get at the nodes considerably. Dedicated backhaul. But I had hoped a Wifi 6 backhaul band would mean each disc can essentially get a base broadcast speed at the Disc itself up to the Gigabit speed of 900Mbps wirelessly? I.e. if you were to connect via ethernet to Disc 3, it would give you a speed of around 800-900Mbps.

2/ I see. So 6 discs sounds like the correct number. I understand what you mean, sounds like you have an optimal setup for ease of access which is important. The backhaul band should allow the full bandwidth of each of the Wifi 5 client channels though right? I understand that a lot of client devices may not be able to get up to 900Mbps wirelessly, but still, you get what I mean, the speed should be much higher surely?

3/ That's great to know! This was something I read about on here and in customer reviews that alarmed me.

4/ Very interesting. Yes so it looks like the BT Premium is better than the older Whole Home! I too was hoping for better. Out of interest, would an ethernet connection to an iMac (which is Gigabit capable via this method) not give you the full speed that the Disc gets? I'm just surprised the backhaul band can't essentially broadcast the full whack of speed that comes into the home. I read reviews that suggested the Whole Home devices with their dual band, were able to broadcast almost the full 300 Mbps speed on the second disc. So you'd have thought the BT Premium with a DEDICATED backhaul, would be able to broadcast almost the full 900Mbps via ethernet, and wirelessly to clients able to receive such speeds?

5/ 500Mbps is pretty good! From what I saw, the ASUS Zen Wifi AX (which has Wifi 6 dedicated backhaul and a separate Wifi 6 client channel as well as Wifi 5 channels) had great real world results in a home with multiple walls and was broadcasting around 600-700Mbps speed (wirelessly) at the access nodes (connected via Wifi backhaul). 

6/ Fascinating. What is the actual throughput (even if theoretical) of each band for the Whole Home and BT Premium discs? I.e. the 2.4Ghz speed and the 5Ghz speed for clients? If the Premium has a dedicated backhaul band, you'd have thought if it has the same stated 5Ghz speed as the Whole Home, then it could use the whole 1700Mbps available on that band and essentially give you the whole 900Mbps?

Definitely sounds like the dedicated band allows you to add more computers/devices without slowing down the home network, which is excellent to hear. What slightly concerns me is having to wait for Firmware updates as the Premium discs are fairly costly as they are. Whilst cheaper than something like the ASUS Zen Wifi AX, or Alien Amplifi, those are good to go with Wifi 6 for clients also for future proofing.

Most helpful. I'd also like to see how others are using the system. Also more reviews of this product. 

Whilst ethernet backhaul between nodes in a Mesh setup would I suppose give the best speed, is it possible for the BT Premium Discs to negate the need for this? Can the dedicated backhaul band get close to that whole 900Mbps/Gigabit to each disc wirelessly?

JamesBand
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 38

How do you reckon it compares to something like the ASUS Zen Wifi AX system?

Would be interesting to see if the BT Whole Home. Premium Wifi can distribute 900Mbps from each disc with the dedicated backhaul getting the full speed to each disc/node. Is it possible?

What's the best way to get the benefits of the Ultrafast Fibre 900 product throughout the home if you have a large property?

0 Ratings