cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 51

BT Whole Home Premium Wifi - Now here's why it doesn't work for me

Being a tech fan, I tend to be an early adopter. I often beta test firmware and new products I can get my hands on.

I have been through a number of mesh network hardware including the original BT Whole Home Wifi, Amplifi Instant, Asus Lyra and TP- Link Deco M9.

The most disappointing of all is the BT Whole Home Premium wifi in my opinion and here is why:

1. Wired Backhaul - All additional discs need to wire back to the second port on the first disc - although that can be via a switch (apparently). All discs from the  old whole home could wire into the same switch or router as can all the other mesh networking systems I have used.
  2. No IPv6. Any devices connecting to the BT Whole Home will not obtain an IPv6 address. 
  3. The premium wifi seems to hijack your DHCP and default gateway in a way I've never seen before. Any device connecting to the disc was issued with an IP address seemingly coming from the main router, but the default gateway was the address of the disc, e.g if my disc had obtained IP address 192.168.1.123 from the router, any device connecting to the disc would obtain a default gateway 192.168.1.123 rather than the normal router address in this case 192.168.1.1.
  4. If I did use wired backhaul through a switch, I would see all of my devices - wired as well in the app. Wired devices seemed to be shown randomly between the two discs. For example my printer was wired into the same switch as disc 2 but showed as being connected to the primary disc. Didn't seem to cause any particular issue but  it made for a messy network map nevertheless. 

These, and other issues all made the Whole Home Premium wifi much more finicky than previous versions. This complexity seems to lead to disc confusion, disconnects, the disc changing from ethernet to wired for no apparent reason, my switch then deciding to block a port due to STP which also caused a problem.

I don't fully understand why the functionality has changed so considerably from the first type of BT Whole Home wifi which was a perfect option for stability and reliability. I've only been using the devices for a few hours and have already packed them back up ready to sell on the next £1 sellers fee on eBay. 

Sorry BT, I gave your BT Whole Home a great review but the Premium is anything but a premium experience.

0 Ratings
50 REPLIES 50
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 51

Re: BT Whole Home Premium Wifi - Now here's why it doesn't work for me

I should add, that for many people the issues I had were relating to my needs and requirements, not everyone requires IPv6 for instance (yet). Most people might will want a wireless backhaul in which case it seemed to work fine. 

The product isn't as bad as I I make it sound, it just isn't for me for the reasons I listed but it might be a great solution for you. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 51

Completely agree with you regarding IPv6 and DHCP hijacking.

And again i’m at a loss as to why the DHCP was changed, the mesh system is just an AP not a router.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 51

Exactly, I think the Premium Whole Home is encroaching on some of the functionality of the router.

It wants to act as the gateway for any devices connecting to it, including wired, presumably for the new functionality such as traffic monitoring. I can understand why you would want to do this from a product feature perspective, but it seems to overcomplicate things a little and probably the reason why its not integrating so well in all homes as the standard BT Whole Home Wifi previously did and still does.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 5 of 51

Hi @oakserver 

Thanks for your comments - appreciate the time taken to share your thoughts. You'll be pleased to know we are planning to move the Premium discs to bridge mode in a future release, therefore they won't take on the gateway IP for all connected devices.

Connecting multiple discs to the router/ switch will also be supported in a future release. We'll also be addressing your other comments in an exciting roadmap of new features.

Hopefully you'll be able to give them another try in a few months' time. Look out for our release notes on the forum to check what's being added.

Dan-O

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 51

Oooh - thanks for the teaser!

They will definitely be better suited to my network if a 'bridge' mode were introduced. With that info in mind I'll hang on to them for the time being 🙂

Highlighted
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 7 of 51

Hi @oakserver 

I'll let you know as soon as we have an official date for the firmware so you can upgrade!

Dan-O

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 51

OMG this is so disappointing and rather shocking.

I finally had enough of my google wifi mesh only letting the main point be the router in my network that I decided to buy BT whole home.

I decided to buy it on the strength that is was just an access point system - exactly what I needed. When I went to buy it I saw that there was a new premium version and decided to get that instead (in for a penny in for a pound as they say).

And now I discover that the key selling point has been removed from the premium version I am in a state of shock.

Why would you do this?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 51

@conradwinch Sorry - what is the key selling point are you referring to that has been removed from the Premium set? I don't think anything has been removed from it yet - I'm waiting for things to be added 😉

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 51

Sorry, I was under the impression that the OP had stated that the Access Point Mode had been removed and that the BT main disc wanted to act as a gateway/router. Did I misunderstand that?

For me the key selling point of what I was going to replace my Google Wifi was the fact that it should be able to be an access point. Google Wifi will not run in mesh mode if you don't want the google wifi main point to be a router and gateway.

0 Ratings