cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 51

Re: BT Whole Home Premium Wifi - Now here's why it doesn't work for me

Yes, I see what you mean - the Premium wifi doesn't and seemingly never has operated in the same way as the standard BT Whole Home wifi as it tries to act as the gateway on your network.

In a previous post BT have advised that there will be bridge functionality in a future firmware update which will be much better in my environment where I already use a router to carry out routing, parental control, firewall, VPN and QOS functions and I don't need or want the BT premium to take over this function.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 51

Is there a review of the BT Premium Wifi system?

In theory it sounds superior to the regular BT Home Wifi discs given you have the dedicated Triband backhaul, but what are the throughput speeds like?

1. Would the BT Premium Home Wifi discs be able to distribute an FTTP 900 product around a property/premises?
2. How does it compare to something like the ASUS ZenWifi AX, Netgear Orbi 6, Links Velop or Amplifi Alien as Mesh system in terms of speeds, number of nodes required?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 51

DO NOT BUT THIS PRODUCT IN ITS CURRENT STATE:

WH = BT WholeHome

WHP = BT WholeHome Premium

So I thought I would upgrade from my existing WH kit to this.......WHAT A LET DOWN!

The speeds advertised can only be roughly achieved in absolute ideal situations, and when placing my discs in the same locations as my old WH system I actually found the old WH to be quicker and more reliable (yes both are on the latest firmware)

Comparison (Note I have Full900, my speed is around 960/130), I have tested this the following way and I'm getting the following results:

FTTP Full900 -> Smart Hub 2 (All wifi disabled) ----Ethernet---> Both BT Mesh systems connected ---- Wi-Fi Backhaul to a single (all others turned off) Slave Disc*--->Ethernet----->MacBook Pro with 1Gbps USB C Ethernet Adapter

Results

*Range ~0.5M (No walls): WHP = 550/120 WH = 350/120

*Range ~2M (No walls): WHP = 400/120 WH = 350/120

*Range ~5M (1 wall): WHP = 300/120 WH = 350/120

*Range ~7.5 (2 walls): WHP = 290/120 WH = 320/120 (Note both systems stated the slave disc as having only a GOOD connection, not excellent like in all other tests) 

All results are approximations from testing using and systems were left for around 30mins each before testing:

https://fast.com

https://projectstream.google.com/speedtest

https://www.speedtest.net

I have no idea why it is actually SLOWER than the older model, but for me it has a more rapid drop off when placed further away from the master disk than the original WH. Luckily I have a return window via amazon until the 31st May. If no updates come out to address this before then I will be returning all 5 disks and staying with WH whilst looking at alternative brands.

This product is a joke!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 14 of 51

Re: BT Whole Home Premium Wifi

I am looking for a mesh system but have the ability to use ethernet backhaul for all disc locations.  In doing so, would I get any benefit with the Premium system or is the benefit of this new system just the improved Wi-Fi communication between discs (which would not be used)?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 51

I would say in your situation @NBW877 whole home premium isn’t worth it.

The new  wi-fi 6 is only for disc to disc and even so using ethernet the disc speeds are still shocking. 

Having had a set since January I hugely regret spending money on it and would say avoid.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 16 of 51

Oh wow.  OK, luckily bought from Amazon so can return if no good.  I currently use multiple Airport Extremes but having a few issues due, I think, to way too many devices connecting per AP, so assumed a mesh network may help.  Hmm, will give them go with a low expectation then.  Thanks for replying.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 51

For a mesh system you’ll get the benefits of seamless roaming and handover so It’ll be better than your current setup.

I maybe more negative than most about the system because the firmware and issues has been terrible since January, discs restarting and needing multiple resets to get it going but they have started to fix things but least you’ll have the Amazon returns if needs be.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 18 of 51

Well, not a great start.  Plugged in first disc as per app, and after purple/flashing blue I now have a solid red light rather than blue.  Done nothing other than connect ethernet and power.  I hate it when things go wrong at the very first step 😞  Troubleshooting within the first 60 seconds.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 19 of 51

Reboot, solid blue light and now just keeps saying Unable to join the network "BTWholeHome-xxxx".

Tried on an iPhone XR and now a Galaxy Note 9. The Note (Android device) gives me an error code Setup-039.

BT, you have failed miserably 😞  If it's this much trouble within 5 mins from opening the box then back in the box and back to Amazon they go.  What a disaster.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 51

If you’ve still got them unpacked, switch the first one back on and plug the ethernet into port one. let it start up and then stick a pin in the reset hole and wait for it to restart and then try again with the app. 

How many discs did you get?

0 Ratings