cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 21 of 51

Re: BT Whole Home Premium Wifi

Thanks.  They're all packed up now ready to go back.  

I got the main disc connected after about an hour, working fine and devices connected, but then spent the next 90 minutes failing to get the 2 additional discs to connect.  Both discs (one at a time as per app) kept flashing blue slowly after pressing WPS button for 5 seconds as per app then turning solid red with yet another error on the app saying no disc detected.  Gave up and all boxed back up.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 22 of 51

Hold the WPS until you see a green flashing light, or just plug in to a connected disk via ethernet.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 23 of 51

That's what I did, multiple times, exactly as instructed in the app.  In fact there's not much you can do wrong.  Trust me, the first disc was a pain to set up and then the others just did not want to play ball.  PITA and I ran out of patience 🙂

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 24 of 51

Whoa - i didn't realise the ax/wifi6 element is only disc-to-disc. That's disappointing...

This whole thread is quite disturbing actually - I've literally just pulled the plug and bought the premium (was about to buy the standard version, but saw this and thought hey why not). I'm now wondering if I should give it a whirl if Amazon are delivering it tomorrow anyway, and I have a longer return window.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 25 of 51

Give it a go.  May be good for you.  And as you say you have till end May (?) to return.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 26 of 51

Yeah...

I'm also looking through the firmware update thread - some positive indicators there. I know I'll have a router sitting between my virgin hub and the disc, so hopefully shouldn't face some of the issues others have reported.

When setting up, is there any way to understand best positioning of each of the discs?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 27 of 51

I never got that far, but from reading I believe the app may give indicators re signal strength based on location.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 28 of 51

arrived an hour ago 🙂

experience so far:
* All 3 nodes set up on first attempt
* Firmware updates successful

So far so good - all gone without a hiccup. I'll run some speed tests shortly.
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 29 of 51

Updated:

• Took a while to stabilise - lights stayed purple following update for hours, I took the risk and rebooted and it thankfully worked
  • Connection started as 'excellent' went down to 'good' but I still get 385/35 through my virgin 350 when I'm close to a disc
  • Speed does drop quite sharply as you extend further away

Complaints:
  • Ping time appear to have gone up. Even pinging my local router at home takes 5-9ms. I should not see such a high ping, nor should it vary this much - the jitter is not good. Direct connection to my wifi router gives me a far more stable 1.2-1.3ms. So, faster, and not as much jitter.
  • My router is still doing the routing to each client. With the other meshs I tried it appeared that the mesh would create it's own subnet and would route traffic to each of the mesh clients, so my primary router only saw the mesh master node and routed all necessary traffic to it. Yes, sure, it may not be as good for port forwarding etc -> but I'd like to at least see this in action. My worry here is that my main router itself is overwhelmed routing 30+ clients, which may explain the high pings.
  • Intermittent long delays connecting, completely unexplained.
  • Huge variances in speed between devices. I'm sitting here with a macbook pro and a samsung s20+ about 2 feet from a disc. My phone gives me 385mbit, my macbook gives me 193. Both connected to the same disc too (and obviously running the tests at separate times). 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 30 of 51

Re: BT Whole Home Premium Wifi - Now here's why it doesn't work for me

Hi all,

@Dan-O  can you give any indication when this featureset (bridge mode, fixing DHCP and IPv6, plugging each disc into a switch/router so not daisy chanined) might become available? Like 1 week,  2 weeks, 2 months, 6 months? As this is currently holding me off from investing in a mesh network. For me its bridge mode, allowing a disc to plug directly into a switch/router (without having to daisy chain) and fixing the DHCP issues.

Many thanks,

Ben

0 Ratings