Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 31 of 51

Re: BT Whole Home Premium Wifi - Now here's why it doesn't work for me

Hi @benjibarnicals,

There is an update coming very soon, keep an eye on the forums early next week for more details.

I am not sure what DHCP issues you are referring to but keen to understand more so please message or email the helpdesk so we can log a case.

Connecting multiple discs direct via Ethernet is on the roadmap for the near future, no timeline yet but it has been prioritised as it's a popular requested feature. 

You may have noticed we added the Early Adopter feature in the last update, you can enable this in the web interface to get earlier access to firmware updates when available.

Thanks,

Dan

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 32 of 51

Hey @Dan-O ,

Thanks for getting back, DHCP wise from what i've read, when IP's are being handed out to clients gateways are being given as the disc, not the router. For me, I have my own router that manages all my routing, parental controls, firewalls etc so its just access points I want, much like what the older Whole Home system did.

Though will def keep an eye on the forums next week, thank you!

PS. One of the thoughts behind wanting each disc to be able to be connected to a router/switch (and not daisy chaining from slave discs to primary) is so I can run PoE down the ethernet cable, inject at the router's end and split at the Disc end, I've done this with other devices, so it means I can place the disc's in the ceiling or walls and not require power sockets nearby, I can also then backhaul the traffic over ethernet. Its not a major stumbling block in my decisions to buy but it would be ideal with this functionality.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 33 of 51

Great news that firmware update is imminent. I have 7 Whole Home Discs running with 7 Premiums ready, waiting to swap out when issues are sorted. Totally agree that bridge mode is required. Recently ditched my HH6 in favour of TP-Link ac 2800 after stability issues in the standard WH system, needing rebooting several times a day ( that was with only 5 discs). Now settled down to circa once per week reboot and running 7 discs, one connected via ethernet to a satellite. With circa 50 devices connected and multiple family video conferencing, streaming or online gaming I want the AC 2800 to continue to handle all the addresses etc. The family are just regaining confidence in the home IT department ( me 😃). Does anyone know if there is any intention to upgrade the app to reliably support more than 6 discs? I assume there is no restriction on the number of Premiums you can have in one mesh system.I know the app supposedly only supports up to 6 but I do see all 7 discs on it, although the one connected via ethernet never shows devices. They all appear on the satellite to which it is connected. I can live with that. Just maybe I can switch over to my Premiums soon, come on BT!!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 34 of 51

Does anyone know if this proposed f/w update has been released yet or not? I'm considering a purchase, but will hold off if not...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 35 of 51

There have been 2 firmware releases in the last 5 weeks (I believe), one of which can be accessed by checking the early adopter box. My understanding is that these have improved stability and introduced bridge mode. I am still waiting before installing the premiums as there are reports of further issues. Maybe others can clarify for you.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 36 of 51

My understanding that you can connect 6 to 7 discs currently but more than this, the system becomes unstable. The number of discs will have a limit, it's designed for the home users not business.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 37 of 51

Yes, I agree. After 6 and possibly 7 the system becomes less stable. 

I think @dbrb2 was asking about firmware updates that addressed the stability and “No bridge mode”  issues that were causing such angst amongst other users.

With the surge in home working the home is rapidly turning into a small business user. Some have commented that the range for the premiums are not much better than the standard. I had been hoping that installing premiums would enable me to run 4 or 5 rather than 7 disks. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 38 of 51

Due to the method used to connect between discs (Backhaul) it has access to AX3700 Tri-Band wireless technology, the speed allowed should be improved in congested Wifi environments, the Whole home GEN1 kit uses AC2600 Dual-Band wireless technology only.

As to bridge mode, I believe this is the way all BT Whole Home Wi-Fi works now. It means the WHW doesn't alter traffic so it can go directly to the router – offering slightly better latency and interoperability with router features.

I have had both and the range of three premium disc offer me the same as I was getting with 4 x Whole home GEN1 discs before.  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 39 of 51

Thanks

How have people found handover? On some other mesh networks I have found connections tend to drop in/out as I move around the house, presumably as my client moves from node to node. I guess how well this is managed is down to the mesh controller....? 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 40 of 51

Never experienced that problem. Always appeared to be smooth handover. Biggest issue for me is that the my standard disks still show steady blue, but all devices lose connection to the internet. Switching to the main TP Link router almost always gives connectivity. Have to restart the primary disk and often other disks to restore mesh internet. This happens once a week, but a few weeks ago when I had the HH6 router, it was several times per day. I was running 5 standard disks at that time. Changing out the router had a dramatic improvement in stability. Havent dared to install premiums yet. Before Corona lockdown hardly ever had a problem with stability, once per month connection issues at most.
0 Ratings