Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 41 of 51

Re: BT Whole Home Premium Wifi - Now here's why it doesn't work for me

Oh dear....

I ordered the premium disks....but they seem to have very fundamental issues: 

1) The units seem not to accept the gateway provided as part of the DHCP offer, but rather assume the server that responds with a DHCP lease is the network gateway. If this is not the case, the units will not be reachable using the app 

2) The units enforce a wifi password level that may be advisable, but is in no way technically required....meaning a lot of my existing devices can no longer connect without all being reconfigured

Will keep trying for a little longer, but may well need to return these come the morning at this rate! 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 42 of 51

Ah Ok....a bit more digging, and  I think I have found the main issue: 

Although the discs can hapily be configured to have a seperate gateway and DHCP server themselves, 

The discs will not pass on any DHCP or DNS request from clients to any IP other than the configured disc gateway 

This is a fairly large limitation....since it means unless you don't use DHCP on your clients, then they can not use wifi unless the gateway and DHCP server are the same...does anyone know if there is a f/w fix for this? 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 43 of 51

Hi @dbrb2 sorry if you have provided before but what firmware version have you installed on the discs.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 44 of 51

Morning! 

SGAB204002

According the the discs, this is the latest available? 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 45 of 51

@dbrb2 

I wonder if you have a similar broadcast issue to me.  Apologies if not relevant.

I had a problem with my Asus router not having complete transparency between it’s LAN ports.  I initially had the master disk plugged into one router port and my LAN switch plugged into another.  Some filtering was happening so WOL / DLNA discovery was slow or failed between Wi-Fi and wired devices.

So what I did was plug the master disk uplink into the LAN switch - this is NOT to be confused with any conversations about how to handle Ethernet backhaul.

Now all my broadcast traffic works fully and well.  And to repeat, my satellite Ethernet backhaul is plugged in directly to the master disk port 2.

So it may well be that BT are doing something strange re: DHCP forwarding, but it’s worth plugging in the master disk to your LAN switch if it isn’t already to see if your router ports are filtering the DHCP broadcasts.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 46 of 51

Thanks

I have mitigated the problem for now by running a DHCP server on my gateway....but this isn't viable longer term. 

There does seem to be some underlying issue with routing. My phone can connect to the wifi, and see the LAN, but can't see outside of that LAN. Other devices can ping the gateway (a BT hub on 192.168.1.254) but only intermittently. 

I'm a little dissapointed so far...it seems a very expensive product to have such bugs....

My wired disc is connected to the switch via eth1 - not sure the choice of port matters here? It does look like DHCP broadcasts are being forwarded by the disc specifically to the gateway set within the disc, but nowhere else...meaning my DHCP server never sees the requests 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 47 of 51

@dbrb2  Ah I understand.  I had thought you weren’t getting an IP at all rather than the default gateway not being passed through.

There is obviously some code in the disc which intercepts the DHCP Offer and unpacks / repacks the options to change the DNS server.  During the repacking you’re suggesting it’s using the DHCP physical server address rather than what ever was in the original DHCP offer ? 

Just for interest why the separate DHCP server - multiple subnets ? Preference ? Or Active Directory?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 48 of 51

Hi, sorry we must have been typing our replies concurrenrtlty!

My reason for splitting the DHCP / DNS is two-fold:

Firstly so that I can run an adblocker easily

Second because the router DHCP server is very "telitubies" in terms of its user interface

And finally simply because it ought to work 🙂 

Currently the system is working after various power cycles....it is obviously a work in progress! I found a few times if the router was power cycled, the wired disc would not request a new IP itself...it seems the DHCP server needs to b e up before the disc.  

I have raised a support ticket and a return ticket (just in case). Will see what happens!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 49 of 51

This still appears to be an issue, Im on firmware release SGAB204002 which is apparantly the latest. I have a small server on my network giving out DHCP including a scope option to define the DNS server. However all my WiFi devices (Windows & Mac) are being givien a DNS server of the Primary Mesh disc, so as described the mesh discs are not allowing the DHCP scope options. I can work round it by manually setting the DNS server on the devices but this is not ideal!

Does anyone know if this is due to be changed?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 50 of 51

Can anyone advise whether I should go for the premium set-up? I have an old house/thick walls/outbuildings and a need for internet in the garden (home office!). I tried a Devolo system but it is parallel to the main BT router (I cloned the SSIDs but the handovers are terrible when I make calls walking around) so I need something which includes the mesh in the main BT router network. Ideally I would like to daisychain some disks off others, and they would choose either PLC or wifi whichever gives the strongest signal. But I don't think that exists anywhere. Failing that I need the best signal possible hence looking at Premium. Would I be better just to go for the lesser "whole home" package?
0 Ratings