cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RGing
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

BT Whole Home - Two questions

Hi. I'm a new user. Have just installed the Whole Home network with no problems, it's covering the house reasonably well but I will probably try a few different locations to optimise it.

I have a couple of questions though.

I have the channels set as 1 and 36 as these are best in my location. I have noticed from an app on our phones - different Samsung models - that they seems to be always connected on channel 1 rather than 36 even when very close to the discs and getting strong signals on 5GHz.  I thought they should connect to 5GHz when they can, to get better bandwidth.  Is this a function of the network, or the phones?

One room is directly below one of disks. If I was to lay the disk on its side, would this give a better signal below, and would this harm the disc due to the ventilation being different?

Thanks very much for any advice you can give me on these points. Smiley Happy     

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
flamethrower
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Whole Home - Two questions

Before worrying about this too much, I'd check whether you are bandwidth limited in either case. What connection speed are you getting at 2.4GHz vs the bandwidth you have to the home? Theoretically 5GHz is better at short ranges, but whether it is observably better is a different question.

The choice of network your phones are using is primarily down to the software and state on the phones and how they decide which network to join. Deleting the networks on your phone and rejoining may trigger a switch. If not, you may be able to force the phones to join 5GHz if the 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks share the same SSID currently. If you can change the SSID of the 5GHz network, give it a different SSID, then join your phones to that network and delete the 2.4GHz network on the phone (Settings -> WiFi -> settings -> Saved Networks -> <select network> -> Forget).

FWIW, when surveying WiFi signal strength I've used Wi-Fi Analyzer by farproc from the Google Play store. It does a good job reporting signal strengths and showing competing networks. Plenty of other options out there (have also used the netgear one). I found I could get great Wi-Fi coverage by having a separate wi-fi base station located in the center of the house, but think mesh probably works better for most.

0 Ratings
RGing
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Thank you for the reply!

The app I'm using on my Samsung S8 is WiFi Manager Premium, which also allow me to control which band the phone uses by setting relative field strengths.  When close to a disk it shows me that the phone is connected simultaneously on both bands, which the S8 can use to aggregate bandwidth.  My understanding is that the BTWH system allows this, but when I do a speed test it is clear that only the 2.4GHz channel is in use.  If I use the app to disconnect the 2.4GHz channel, the full internet bandwidth is available, via the 5GHz channel.  Naturally I feel the 5GHz band should be used automatically for its greater band, without using a battry-consuming app to do the switching.

I should admit at this point that I am not using BT broadband, but Virgin Media at 200Mb/s, and by connecting at 5GHz I can use the full 200Mb/s internet connection. It is disappointing therefore to find that only the 2.4GHz band is in use by default from the BTWH, restricting the download to about 45Mb/s.  Since the S8 is actually connected on both bands simultaneously, it does not seem to be at fault here.

I'd be interested to receive any further comments.

0 Ratings
flamethrower
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 8

Just to correct what I said earlier: it looks like there is no option to split SSID's according to the FAQ:

http://btsupport.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/c/8071

I came across this which describes to configure Android to "stick to one frequency band":

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3046538/android/6-ways-to-make-the-most-of-wi-fi-on-your-android-devi...

which is a step in the right direction, but not quite what you're after.

Over and out

P.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

If you set the phone to only use the 5Ghz it will not connect to or see ANY 2.4Ghz networks. This would also apply to your own home network even if only the 2.4Ghz is the only one reaching the room you are in.

0 Ratings
RGing
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

@gg30340 wrote:

If you set the phone to only use the 5Ghz it will not connect to ANY 2.4Ghz networks. This applies to your own network even if only the 2.4Ghz is the only one reaching the room you are in.

Indeed. That was just a test to establish a 5GHz connection. Naturally the connection should automatically be to the best signal,  which should be to 5GHz if strong enough.   The S8's modem can connect simultaneously on both bands to aggregate the bandwidth, and is certainly connecting to both.  But for some reason it is only receiving data on 2.4GHz - unless I force it to 5GHz by turning 2.4GHz off.

This is what I am trying t resolve. 

0 Ratings
flamethrower
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 8

There are lots of issues like yours on the web. It's down to Samsung: Google "samsung s8 using 2.4Ghz instead of 5ghz"

Do you have a reference for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz use simultaneously? It seems odd to bond channels with such different characteristics. Perhaps the docs are meant to imply seamless transition between the two bands?
0 Ratings
RGing
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

That's very interesting, I need to do some more research.

I have never noticed the same problem with previous routers, so I'll reconnect my previous ones and see if the same thing happens.

Thanks for the advice. 

0 Ratings