Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
philtrick
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 23

BT Whole Home WIFI- Unable to have 2 Discs connected via cable to the router

Hi all,

I'm trying to setup my house with a triple pack.

2 discs connected via Cat.5 to the home router (Draytek), the 3rd disc is currently connected wireless to the others (but later this year I want to connect via Cat.5 as well)

The problem I have is that as soon as I connect  a Cat.5 cable to the back of the 2nd disc it assumes that is now a master. I've tried both cabled discs and can only get the solution to work with only one disc connected to Cat.5

The reason for cabling a second disc is presumeable I'll get better WIFI speeds vs daisy chainging the discs together.

I've checked the andriod app and also the admin webpage and there doesn't appear to be a way to change the topology to what I want. Can anyone help? Otherwise I might have to return the package.

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23

Re: BT Whole Home WIFI- Unable to have 2 Discs connected via cable to the router

Hi @philtrick Sorry you are having a problem with the Whole Home Wifi system.

Please contact the product helpdesk on phone: 0808 100 6116 Mon-Fri 9.00am to 5.30pm and Sat 9.00am to 2.00pm or by email btconnectedhome@bt.com.

Cheers
John

Community ModeratorJohnC
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
philtrick
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 23

Re: BT Whole Home WIFI- Unable to have 2 Discs connected via cable to the router

I rang the help desk and they said 'it should just work'.

I did some testing today and the problem seems to be that as soon as you plug the ethernet cable into the back of the 2nd disc, it reboots but then can't connect itself back onto the mesh. So you you then have 2 Whole Home networks, the configuration app then just connects to 1 disc and can't 'see' the other disc.

I can open the webpage of each disc- one is .20 the other .21.

As soon as I remove the ethernet cable from one of the discs (so only one is connected to ethernet), the system then starts working again as a mesh.

I wonder if this is related to the firmware issues going on at the moment?? 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 23

Hi @philtrick sorry the helpdesk did not provide more assistance when you called them with your problem.

It may be linked to the ongoing firmware issue so I would suggest that you contact the helpdesk again as per the advice given on Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10 thread post 358.

Thanks
John

Community ModeratorJohnC
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Breadmaker
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 23

I have 3 units using wired backhaul at the moment, as due ro the firmware issue it seems this is now the only way i can get a half stable system.

Infoound the best way to get the topology right was to set them all up in order. So if you have them all wired in place, switch them all off via the button on the disc and then go around and switch back on in the order you want them. Allowing each one to stabilise first.
0 Ratings
philtrick
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 23

Tried that and it doesn't work 😞

When I plug in the ethernet cable I get the following in the log. As you can see pluging in ethernet backhaul seems to remove it from the topology.

04.06.2018 11:58:26 HTTP-User login from 192.168.1.199.
04.06.2018 11:57:19 OWL-Lounge become master in topology
04.06.2018 11:57:19 OWL-Lounge(EC:F4:51:64:FF:C2) leave topology
04.06.2018 11:57:09 Current firmware version is v1.02.04 build10 and boot flag is 1.
04.06.2018 11:57:09 HTTP-start ...
04.06.2018 11:57:09 NTP-Time Server successfully connected and time synchronisation achieved.
04.06.2018 11:57:09 DHCPC-Obtain new IP 192.168.1.21 and netmask 255.255.255.0
04.06.2018 11:57:07 OWL-Backhaul WiFi Link Down apclii0.
04.06.2018 11:57:04 OWL-Backhaul WiFi Link Down apcli0.
04.06.2018 11:57:04 IF[5G]:AP deauth STA(24:18:1D:61:80:91),reason is 2
04.06.2018 11:57:01 OWL-Backhaul Ethernet being used for uplink mode.
04.06.2018 11:57:01 Ethernet Port 0 Link Up.
0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 7 of 23

@philtrickwrote:

Hi all,

I'm trying to setup my house with a triple pack.

2 discs connected via Cat.5 to the home router (Draytek), the 3rd disc is currently connected wireless to the others (but later this year I want to connect via Cat.5 as well)

The problem I have is that as soon as I connect  a Cat.5 cable to the back of the 2nd disc it assumes that is now a master. I've tried both cabled discs and can only get the solution to work with only one disc connected to Cat.5

The reason for cabling a second disc is presumeable I'll get better WIFI speeds vs daisy chainging the discs together.

I've checked the andriod app and also the admin webpage and there doesn't appear to be a way to change the topology to what I want. Can anyone help? Otherwise I might have to return the package.

The exact same thing happened to my setup i.e. as soon as the second disk is connected to Ethernet that has then become the primary.  However, it doesn't really matter which is acting as the primary so long as all your devices are working on WiFi with a good connection.

I definitley do not have two seperate systems running though, there is only the one. Hope this helps.

0 Ratings
philtrick
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 23

I wouldn't mind if I plugged in the ethernet to the 2nd disc and that became the only master.

It actually creates 2 master discs on the network and they don't 'talk' to each other.

When I launch the app it tries to connect to I presume the first disc which responds, and then you can only see 1 disc in the network. The other ethernet connected disc is working in isolation. You can tell it's working this way because you can access the webpage for each disc (there should be a redirection to the IP address for the master disc).

If I adjust the admin password it only adjust the password on the disc I'm connected to.

As soon as I remove the ethernet cable on the 2nd disc it becomes a slave again and resyncs with the master, and I can then see it in the app.

0 Ratings
philtrick
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 23

Just doing some more testing.

Does anyone know what the protocol that is used to sync the disc together over the LAN?

I'm just wondering if its being blocked for me.

0 Ratings
philtrick
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 23

I think this issue is related to connecting via powerline adaptors.

If I get any further info I'll post it here.

0 Ratings