cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 11 of 23

Re: BT Whole Home WIFI- Unable to have 2 Discs connected via cable to the router

@philtrickwrote:

I think this issue is related to connecting via powerline adaptors.

If I get any further info I'll post it here.

The first disk I connected is less than 2 feet from the router.  My second disk on which I decided to use Ethernet for backhaul is connected via a Homeplug and is situated at the opposite end of the house from the router and on a different floor.  That second disk has now become the primary.

I don't really see it matters much which is the primary as long as the system is working well and you are getting great WiFi.  Why the second disk is the primary I don't really understand, though I'm not losing sleep over it.

BTW I can definitley see the second Ethernet connected disk both by using the app and the webpage.  The disk nearest the router is shown as hanging off the disk in the lounge.

0 Ratings
philtrick
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 23

Re: BT Whole Home WIFI- Unable to have 2 Discs connected via cable to the router

Its the powerline adaptors 😞 . It seems they are ok for everything else (including streaming BT sports @4k), but the Whole Wifi doesn't work with them. It's not passing the sync traffic.

I moved the 2nd disc and connect it straight into the router switch and it fired up and sync'd straight away.

I'm guessing it's not passing some multicast protocol- but I'll try to find out 100%.

I now need to work out getting an cable from the router to the 2nd disc position- maybe via the wall cavity. Could be interesting!

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 13 of 23

@philtrickwrote:

@Its the powerline adaptors 😞 . It seems they are ok for everything else (including streaming BT sports @4k), but the Whole Wifi doesn't work with them. It's not passing the sync traffic.

I moved the 2nd disc and connect it straight into the router switch and it fired up and sync'd straight away.

I'm guessing it's not passing some multicast protocol- but I'll try to find out 100%.

I now need to work out getting an cable from the router to the 2nd disc position- maybe via the wall cavity. Could be interesting!

I'm using the TP-Link Homeplugs and they work just fine with WholeHome.  My second disk is first connected to a TP-Link 8 port gigabit switch and that in turn connects to the HomePlug.

0 Ratings
B1998
Contributor
Message 14 of 23

@philtrickWhich powerline adapters do you have? Looks like others have got similar layout to yours to work without problem. This may give a clue for further investigation to BT team who read this forum.

0 Ratings
Steve59
Aspiring Expert
Message 15 of 23

My advice would be to not bother calling the Helpdesk as they are clueless with the WholeHome, I think they are not even BT and just a thirdparty 

Why can you not use wifi backhaul ?

0 Ratings
philtrick
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 23

I could use Wifi backhaul, but if you can get ethernet to the disc thne you're going to get better performance.

My disc2 is in a daisy chain between my router(and disc1), and disc 3 which is my garage at the end of the garden.

I'm not sure how it affects performance if a disc has two or more wifi links with other discs. Surely a cabled ethernet link would be better.

I've just order the bits from amazon in order to get a Cat6 cable in. Could be tricky dropping the cable into the cavity wall, good job there's no insulation in there! 🙂

0 Ratings
B1998
Contributor
Message 17 of 23

@philtrickBefore you cable up your house, have you given it a try and verified performance with a single disc connected by Ethernet and the other two discs wifi? If you've got standard broadband to your house (e.g. like up to 80mbps max), then wifi performance is unlikely to be the bottleneck; your broadband will be, even with a daisy chain.

Try setting it up that way, let the network settle and then use it normally without worrying too much about the configuration it settled in. If you can do whatever you want to do on the internet without buffering, then no need to worry? Just a thought...

0 Ratings
Palazzo13
Contributor
Message 18 of 23

My observations are the same as @Jim-lad.
I have 3 discs with 2 connected via powerline adaptors, and the master has varied whenever any restarts have been done.
However, it doesn't seem to matter which disc is the master, apart from which IP address I have to connect to for the admin interface.
0 Ratings
mas123
Beginner
Message 19 of 23

This thread has been interesting reading for me. I tried to do this when I first got my 3 disk kit around a year ago. Failed miserably and gave up. Maybe it’s time to give it another go...

I have 350Mbps internet do want to take full advantage of it. I want my first disk connected directly to my router via ethernet. The second disk connected to the router via ethernet (but via a powerline adapter), and the final disk connected wirelessly.

I too will be using a TP iLink Powerline adapter, which may cause an issue, from what I’ve read...

Anyone got their system working like this?
0 Ratings
jasontrk
Beginner
Message 20 of 23

Hi, I'm also on 350mbps internet with Virgin and I'm looking into the whole home set up. I'd appreciate it if you could give an update on how things went with your set-up. I intend to run ethernet cables to each disc. I'm curious to know what speed you got when you connected directly to your router via ethernet..

0 Ratings