cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

BT Whole Home Wi-Fi Error code Setup-042

Go to solution

Hi,

I am trying to add a couple of extra discs to our whole home network. I plug them in to get them configured and on the app it comes up with 'Wi-Fi Error code Setup-042'

Does anyone know what this means?

Many thanks,

Charles

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT Whole Home Wi-Fi Error code Setup-042

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

I have looked here and cannot see this error code mentioned anywhere?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

No error messages but it tells you what to try if you have problems, including adding extra discs

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

I realise this is a bit old now but just in case anyone comes here looking for help (like I did).

I got this problem when trying to add new discs to my WholeHome setup.

Before adding the new discs I had two discs working fine.  The primary disc was connected by cable to an ethernet switch which was connected by cable to my router.  When I tried to add a new disc I first connected it by cable to the same switch - no joy, error Setup-042 (which I think means - can't detect a new disc).

Next I tried connecting the new disc directly to the router by cable.  Same error.

Only worked when I connected both the original primary disc and new disc directly to the router by cable.  It seems that the ethernet switch was blocking whatever the new disc was using to announce itself to the network.  Once the new discs were configured I put the main disc back on its ethernet switch and everything still worked fine.

So - in short:  If you get problems adding new discs, it seems ethernet switches may be a possible cause.

Message 6 of 6

Go to solution
I had the same problem. I emailed the BT help email (btconnectedhome@bt.com) and this is the reply they gave me and it worked for me.

Please press the Factory reset button on the back of the new disc. Wait for the solid red light to come back on then try this:

Plug the new disc into a power socket close to another disc
Wait for the disc to boot up and show a flashing blue / blue or red LED
Press the WPS button on the back of the disc for 5 seconds until the LED flashes green
Now press the WPS button on the back of a disc already in your system for 5 seconds until the LED flashes green
The new disc will go through several LED phases but will finish with solid blue
Once the new disc is solid blue, open the app. There will now be another disc showing as "New disc. Tap to configure"
Press on the New disc and then press the Configure button to give the disc a name. The disc can now be relocated to the desired location
To re-run the location checker, when viewing a particular disc that is not showing "Excellent location", press "Relocate disc" and follow the steps in the app
Tags (1)
0 Ratings