Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adly
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 4

BT Whole Home Wi-Fi Ethernet Speed

Hi all,

Just purchased BT Whole Home Wi-Fi and I’m having an issue with the Ethernet backhaul speeds. No matter what I try (replaced cable, different port, rebooting, everything, etc.) I cannot get the discs to use a link speed of 1Gbps; it remains at 100Mbps. Other devices negotiate 1Gbps without issue in the same ports and using the same cables.

I updated the firmware before setup as this was recommended (I wasn’t aware it was hours old at the time), so I can’t rule this out. However, it seems very unusual and I’ve never had an issue with a gigabit device only negotiating Fast Ethernet before.

Has anyone else experienced this, or is it a known issue? Any help would be appreciated!
0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
adly
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT Whole Home Wi-Fi Ethernet Speed

After trying everything possible on the switch I cannot get the disc to negotiate at 1Gbps Ethernet. The disc connected to the Smart Hub appears to be at 1Gbps (if the hub logs are accurate), though.

I can only assume either an issue with the disc or some incompatibility somewhere. Without deeper access to the disc I can’t really check. The disc logs aren’t very helpful with regard to Ethernet. It would be great if a BT Device Expert could help with this.
0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 3 of 4

@adlywrote:
After trying everything possible on the switch I cannot get the disc to negotiate at 1Gbps Ethernet. The disc connected to the Smart Hub appears to be at 1Gbps (if the hub logs are accurate), though.

I can only assume either an issue with the disc or some incompatibility somewhere. Without deeper access to the disc I can’t really check. The disc logs aren’t very helpful with regard to Ethernet. It would be great if a BT Device Expert could help with this.

Hi @adly

What is the make/model of your switch? Is it managed? If so, do you have the option to view/change the link speed settings?

Dan-O

Community ModeratorDanO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on BT Devices queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BT device queries. Go here for more info.
adly
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 4

Thanks for the response, .

It is a managed switch but I can only set link speed to auto negotiate (which will use 1Gbps where possible), 100Mbps, or 10Mbps. I did try forcing a 1Gbps connection using an alternative switch but the disc refused to bring the connection up.

However, oddly enough, it suddenly started working at 1Gbps yesterday. I’m a bit worried about how long that will last as I did test with various different cables, switches, and even Ethernet to a computer prior to this and it would not connect at 1Gbps.

I wonder if it would be worth having the disc replaced given its intermittent behaviour?
0 Ratings