cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LuigiX
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

BT Whole Home Wi-Fi Mesh Set-Up (actually doing it wirelessly)

I have a powerful broadband Wi-Fi route, but it doesn't quite reach the furthest corners of my property. The solution appears to be BT Whole Home Wi-Fi, but (bizarrely) it seems that I have to have the 'first' disc tethered by an ethernet cable to my router, and all the other discs then daisy-chain (or mesh) from that. The result is that the first two discs only 'extend' the range of my Wi-Fi to the same level as my existing router, and therefore are rather wasted (and, it seems, I cannot move seamlessly from my 'router' Wi-Fi to the 'Whole Home' Wi-Fi. This all seems very odd.

Surely there is way of connecting the 'discs' to the existing Wi-Fi wirelessly, so that they can be placed at the perimeter of the existing signal rather than replicating it from the centre of the source?

I know that all of the illustrations and instructions refer only to tethering the first disc by an ethernet cable, since the second disc can connect wirelessly to the first disc, I cannot help thinking that it must be possible to connect the first disc to the router wirelessly, even if that involves a bit of rummaging in the set-up. Has anyone managed this?

I know one person who has one (v.2.0 - black) disc which is wirelessly connected to his router, but he can't remember how he did it.😂

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: BT Whole Home Wi-Fi Mesh Set-Up (actually doing it wirelessly)

@LuigiX 

Are you a BT Broadband customer?

The black discs only work with the BT Smart Hub 2.

0 Ratings
LuigiX
Beginner
Message 3 of 13

No I'm not on BT and I've got white discs. It did occur to me that it might be that only a BT hub can connect wirelessly to the first disc. That would be boring!

0 Ratings
LuigiX
Beginner
Message 4 of 13

Really? I have bought BT Whole Home Wi-Fi discs, promoted as working with all broadband providers. I rather thought that the BT community would be the place to find out how they can be connected wireless y to a non-BT router and that I am a BT Retail customer although I get my broadband elsewhere. I feel that there must be a setting somewhere to achieve what I need...A2A4FDAF-8D6F-4680-A523-75FA790DDB1B.jpeg

0 Ratings
LuigiX
Beginner
Message 5 of 13

Thank you. 

0 Ratings
Dan-O
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 6 of 13

Hi @LuigiX 

As Keith has stated, you must connect the first disc via Ethernet as Whole Home Wi-Fi is a full mesh system and not a Wi-Fi Extender like some other products you can add to your existing Wi-Fi. In order to work properly, all Wi-Fi access points need to be part of the mesh or most features won't work.

Please feel free to post on this forum for other help with your product - as a Whole Home Wi-Fi customer you are certainly a BT customer and we will do all we can to help with any support you need.

Dan-O

LuigiX
Beginner
Message 7 of 13

Thanks. I was hoping for a Mesh that could include my existing router, but it looks as though I will just have to get more discs so I can reach the dark-spots rather than linking from the edges of the existing coverage area. But good to know I can stop trying!
0 Ratings
WorcesterMan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 13

I'm looking at adding a BT Premium mesh system to my existing BT router: I am a BT Broadband customer.  I'd prefer to buy the disks myself but would I also need a BT Smart 2 router to ensure that the main router is within the same mesh?  As it stands I just have the basic BT Smart Hub Type A.

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 9 of 13

Hi @WorcesterMan if you're buying Whole Home wifi discs (the white ones) they'll work with any router. You leave one disc connected via ethernet to the Hub and forget the routers own wifi on your devices as its not part of the mesh network. The complete wifi discs (black) do require a Home Hub 2 to work.

0 Ratings
WorcesterMan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 13

thanks.  The router I have (BT Smart type A) is quite good (but not quite good enough for the whole house) and so I want a mesh that builds on it, rather than creating a parallel network.  I also want to go for the Premium (is this different to "complete"?) I'm thinking that if I buy a BT Smart Hub 2 router, that would become part of the mesh rather than being separate from it.  Is that correct ?

0 Ratings