cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

BT Whole Home Wi-Fi app failure, is there a plan B?

Go to solution

Dear All, I have recently acquired a 3 disc set of the Whole Home Wi Fi. Looking forward to all the benefits of a mesh system... But! 

Despite reading all info here (SeanD etc) I have been unable to get the app to set up the first disc (set up error 012)

I have done a factory reset of the disc. I have unplugged everything else from the router (not a BT router). I have cleared all other Wi Fi networks from my devices. I have tried a smart phone, chrome book and an I pad (only one at a time). All of these can connect to and use the whole home wi fi, but the app will not see the disc.

Is there a way to get these things to work together as a mesh without using the app? Is there a non BT app I can use? 

(I do not have a BT account so can not use the 'mybtdevice' work-round) 

Thanks in advance for any solutions

Matthew

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Whole Home Wi-Fi app failure, is there a plan B?

Go to solution

Hi @MatthewWM welcome to the community and thanks for posting, I'm sorry about the delay replying. You don't need to use the app to set up the Whole Home wifi discs and if you can connect to them your mesh network is up and running.  To try and get the app working can you try the below steps?

To run the app’s set-up menu after installing your Whole Home Wi-Fi network, follow these steps:

1. Uninstall or delete the app from your tablet or smartphone
  2. Turn off the discs that aren't directly connected to your hub (router)
  3. Factory reset the disc connected to your hub (router) - use a pin or paper clip to press the factory reset button on the rear of the disc for about one second
  4. Wait for the LED to turn purple, flashing blue then solid blue
  5. Turn off this disc
  6. One by one turn on the other discs and factory reset them. Wait for the blue flashing LED, then turn off
  7. Once all discs have been reset, download and install the app from your app store
  8. You can now open the app and follow the set up instructions. Don't turn on your discs until prompted by the app
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Hi NeilO,

Thank you for looking at this for me.

I have followed your instructions using my phone (android 7) and get the same error message 012 set-up failure. Doing 'retry' gives a 'please wait' screen with the three bouncing balls. This keeps going until I exit the app. I have left it thinking for a good 5 mins.

I then followed the whole process again using another phone, android 8 this time. Downloading the app for the first time at step 7. After entering the wi-fi password, the set-up failed again with error 012.

I am confident that I have followed your instructions exactly.

Do you have a plan C up your sleeve ! ?  

Thanks, Matthew

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

@MatthewWM,

I'm sorry to hear that the steps Neil provided dind't work either. Sadly we don't have a plan C, it would be best to ether call the Connect Home Product Helpdesk on 0808 100 6116 or them at email btconnectedhome@bt.com to see if specilest desk can provde more support. 

Thanks 

Matt

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Dear Matt and Neil,

An update for the Community. 

I called the help line, and they were great ! It did take a long time to get through but when I did the chap talked me through doing a firmware update for one of the discs, via the mybtdevice website. I tried to login to this when I first had the problem but could not make it work. I should have persevered! I did not need to have any existing account / login / or service from BT.

Once the firmware was updated on the first disc. It then updated the other two. Once I was able to login to the admin for my whole home I could set it to do auto updates in the future.

The actual problem was the firmware on the discs was too old to work with the latest release of the app, and I could not work out how to update it.

Everything now works very well and is strong and stable.

Thanks and best, Matthew