Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vip
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

BT Whole Home Wi-Fi speed decreased.

Go to solution

Note: all tests were run using desktop computer via ethernet on speedtest.net or using the ookla speed test app on my phone via wifi.

Setup

Primary Disc: Connected via ethernet to my ADSL modem/router = Excellent connection reported in the BT app.

Secondary Disc: Connected via WiFi to Primary Disc = Good connection reported in the BT app.

Tertiary Disc: Connected via WiFi to Secondary Disc = Good connection reported in the BT app.

WiFi switched off on the modem/router.

My broadband speed over ethernet on my desktop computer connected to a LAN port on my ADSL modem/router averages around 6Mbps download speed.

I purchased and set up the 3 BT Wholehome discs yesterday.  At that time I was getting 7.something Mbps on my desktop via ethernet and over wifi on my phone(no other wifi devices connected) I was getting 6.something at each hub which I was more than happy with.

Everyone in the house started using WiFi from yesterday afternoon and no issues or buffering until today during this evening.

I verified all discs were showing a blue LED with Excellent/good connections.

I disconnected everything from WiFi and tested the speed with my ethernet connected destop only: 5.96Mbps.  I was expecting WiFi speeds at the discs to be around 1Mbps less than 5.96Mbps.  I tested each disc with just my mobile connected to WiFi. I used the BT wholehome app prior to testing to verify my phone was connected to the disc I was testing at the time.

Results as below;

Primary: 3.76Mbps

Secondary: 3.56Mbps

Tertiary: 3.22Mbps

I've tried resetting the network via the app, but my tertiary disc connected with an orange LED to Primary.  I power cycled Tertiary and it then connected with blue LED / good connection to Secondary as it was before.

I retested and the results were the same slower 3.somethingMbps as before.

Is there anyway I can speed up the WiFi connection so the speed is within 1Mbps of the ethernet connected desktop speed, as it was yesterday(including in the evening during peak time)?

Is this varience in speed expected?  Is everyone having this issue but I'm seeing more of an effect as I'm on a slower ADSL connection?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
dgw1
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT Whole Home Wi-Fi speed decreased.

Go to solution

Unfortunately this is what you get with mesh networks. It is said that every access point you introduce cuts the speed by half....

0 Ratings
peterh0001
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

You are confusing wireless extenders with mesh networks. Modern meshes are designed to avoid that as you can see if you look at the reported speeds which are not decreasing geometrically.  

0 Ratings
peterh0001
Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Are your devices connecting on the 2.4G or 5G signal ? If you look on the app at the device details you can see the estimated channel speed which you should be seeing up to 40% of.

On my system I cannot tell the difference between running speed test on an Ethernet connection or via the Whole Home Wi-Fi, both report around 19Mb/s.

You can try using the web interface to set the 2.4G band manually to channel 1 and the 5G to channel 36, this often clears up flaky device connections but may not affect yours. Easy to set it back to auto if not.

Bottom line is that you should not lose bandwidth to the degree you are seeing.

0 Ratings
Vip
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks for the responses.

Re-tested this morning without changing anything;

Mobile Phone to disc
 DownloadUploadBandSignalSpeed
Desktop5.740.76   
Primary3.761.765GHz-44433
Secondary3.741.065GHz-48433
Tertiary3.031.085GHz-57433

Changed Band channels 2.4GHz = Channel 1 and 5GHz=Channel 36 and retested;

Mobile Phone to disc
 DownloadUploadBandSignalSpeed
Desktop5.87    
Primary3.631.175GHz-46433
Secondary3.821.125GHz-48433
Tertiary3.161.125GHz-54433

Disc Details

DiscPrimarySecondaryTertiary
BandEthernet5GHz5GHz
SignalN/A-81-70
Firmwarev1.02.01 build 24v1.02.01 build 24v1.02.01 build 24
ModelWE410443-SAWE410443-SAWE410443-SA

I appreciate the help.  Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Vip
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Table formatting changed when I posted.  In the first two tables the 'Mobile phone to disc' should be over the columns band, signal and speed.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Oxlade1
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

At those speeds you shouldn't see any drop when using the discs, the Wi-Fi rates are much higher than your broadband, even with a daisy chain setup.

Just wondered how you have connected the first disc. Stupid thing but you could try a different Ethernet cable.

Also noticed you're using a different device to test speed on discs vs. testing on the PC. Can you connect the PC to the Ethernet port on the other discs OR turn wi-fi back on and test the router with the phone on Wi-Fi? May be worth manually setting the speedtest server so you know you're using the same one every time.

Highlighted
Vip
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks for the advice, I have the first disc connected directly to a LAN socket on my modem/router using the ethernet cable that came with the discs. 

I did the following just a few minutes ago before reading your post;

Using web interface reset both bands back to auto.

I rebooted the router/modem and Primary disc.

Primary came back with blue LED, secondary and tertiary stayed on red.  Power cycled secondary and once it had a blue LED I did the same with Tertiary which also went to a blue LED.  Verified they are daisy chained as before.

Ran speedtest a couple of times on my desktop(ethernet directly to my modem/router and not via any of the discs) and my mobile(WiFi) connected to the Primary disc and speeds are now nearly the same.

Desktop

Download between 6.10Mbps and 6.18Mbps.

Mobile

Download between 6.10Mbps and 6.15Mbps.

Unfortunately I can't test the other two discs right now so I will retest everything in the morning.  If it's working I'm not going to touch it, if problems reoccur . . .

I can't connect the other two discs by ethernet without moving them to the PC.  I've found on the speedtest app and website how to select a server(Thanks for the heads up, different server locations = none comparable results) and will ensure I select the same server location for each test.  Also as you suggested I'll retest using the wifi on my modem/router and try replacing the ethernet cable connected to the Primary disc.

I'll post how it went tomorrow.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Vip
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Retested this morning over Wi-Fi and all 3 discs are downloading at 6.10 to 6.18Mbps which I'm happy with as that’s about the speed I get on a wired connection.

I'm not sure what the root cause was, did some additional reading and found there are external factors that can affect Wi-Fi such as a TV van being nearby or a microwave being on(although if it was a microwave it would have to have been used constantly for several hours).  I'm not going to change anything unless the problem reoccurs and I'll be able to rule out external factors in the future by testing using the Wi-Fi on my router/modem as Oxlade1 suggested.

I'm grateful this community exists and I was able to easily find it by a google search as when I spoke to BT they did not offer any help, when I advised the problem just recently occurred they raised their voice stating they cannot help, the product is not suitable for my environment and I should return the product and not purchase another.(Perhaps they were having a bad day).

Thanks to everyone who read this thread and to everyone who posted.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @Vip,

Thanks for getting back and letting us know you've got this sorted. Big thanks to @Oxlade1 for the help on this.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings