cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StefanMc
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

BT Whole Home Wi-fi system interfering with BT TV?

Go to solution

I have had BT TV for 4 years now connected through Powerline adapters. Although this is not officially supported by BT, this set uphas worked flawlessly.

Recently, I purchased BT Whole Home Wifi (3 discs) in order to expand the range of my network. After setting up the Whole Home system up to my Smart Hub I have began to encounter breaking up of pictures and IPC6011 error code on the mulitcast channels on BT TV. Intially I thought the problem was the powerline adapters themselves but I have since tested them and they are perectly fine. I have also checked ethernet, HDMI cables etc. 

I then decided to then disconnect the Whole Home system, and by doing so solved the problem with BT TV. I then tried moving the power supply for the Whole Home system further away  from the powerline incase there was interference between the two being too close togteher. This again brought back the problems. I believe the Whole Home system is interferring with the connection between the powerline adapters.

So in summary: The picture break of the multicast channels occurs when the Whole Home system is switched on, but is resolved when the system is off. I am not sure what I could try to get both to work together without interference.

I think my issue is similar to this: https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Devices/BT-Whole-Home-Wifi-interfering-with-BT-TV/td-p/1761152

I have also contacted the Whole Home helpdesk but thought I would try this forum as well. 

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as I would prefer not to have return my Whole Home system.

Thanks,

Stefan

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
BrunoN
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Whole Home Wi-fi system interfering with BT TV?

Go to solution

Hi, thanks for reaching out. This is indeed not behaving as we'd expect. Many people have Whole Home Wi-Fi and BT TV happily working together.

Can you confirm your network topology. We'd expect that your powerline is connected into one port on the back of your Hub, and the first whole home disc into another port of your Hub? Your're not daisy chaining things, are you?

Also confirm that your powerline is plugged into the wall socket, and not an extension lead. Powerline can sometimes be sensitive to other electrical equipment plugged in the same house, especially if in a trailing lead.

0 Ratings
StefanMc
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution
Hi,

Yes the BT Broadband Extender Flex 500 is connected to the back of port 1 on the hub and the first disc of the Whole Home is connected through port 2 of the hub through the Ethernet cable.
No, I am not daisy changing the network. The Powerline’s are both directly into the power socket and not an extension lead.
Could you give any suggestions of what I could do to try and fix the problem?

Thanks,
Stefan
0 Ratings
BrunoN
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution
Hi again. What disc firmware are you on?
Please make sure you're on latest firmware. Go to Settings screen on the app and check for firmware. Latest is 1.02.06 Build 12.
If you're still seeing problem please contact helpdesk.
Hope this helps.
StefanMc
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Hi,

Updated firmware and still the problem persisted. However, I decided to remove the powerlines from my network and plug the Youview box into one of the Whole Home Discs through ethernet. This has appeared to solve the problem with no interuption on the picture etc. I am quite surprised by this set-up working as I didn't belive multicast was passed over a wireless connection, but all appears well.

Thanks for your help,

Stefan

0 Ratings