Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wenklaw
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 5

BT Whole Home WiFI and Multicast IPTV over WiFi

Go to solution

Hi,

Firstly, I am aware of the constraints and possible issues of running multicast BT TV IPTV channels such as BT Sport over WiFi.  However my setup isnt the normal, i have ditched  the BT HomeHub and run a TP-Link Archer, i also have managed switches with IGMP snooping and QoS enabled.  I currently run my BT Youview box over 1gb powerlines but want to dispose of the powerlines as my throughput whilst enough to carry BT Sport HD glitch free suffers from a fairly low speed, i am lucky to get 25Mb/s down them.  The BTWH is running at a minimum of 275Mb/s + (dependant on disc)

Due to other things i run off the same powerline as the BT Youview box I would like to utilise the higher speeds of the BTWH WiFi and get another disc to replace the powerlines, a managed switch is also at that end as i need more than a single ethermet.  I dont want to run both powerlines and another disc in that location.

Just wanting to know if anyone has been running BTTV IPTV multicast channels over the BTWH for any length of time with success and no stability issues?

My BTWH WiFi is rock solid and provides enough bandwith to stream 4k movies to my Apple TV 4K (plus other devices hammering another disc at the same time) without issue so the bandwidth is there but obviously thats not multicast.

I can just unplug a disc and move it but thats pain to do for anything longer than 24 hours as other things need that disc where it is and i cant use the powerlines in that location.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
wenklaw
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Whole Home WiFI and Multicast IPTV over WiFi

Go to solution

An update for those who may be interested.

It would appear that Multicast in this case BT Sport HD doesn’t particularly like being ran over the BTWH system.  It may well be the case that the disc i am connecting to is that little bit too far from another disc as the signal is -81 (states good) but I am fairly sure if it drops by another db it shows poor. 

BT Sport HD will play but will intermittently fail with the 'unable to play this channel message, please check your router/internet' .  Sometimes it will play for well over an hour than other times 10-20 mins so basically it isnt reliable enough in my setup so i have reverted to powerlines.  When the disc 'daisy chained' to another disc (not the master disc connected to the router) the signal level was -60db and BT Sport HD played without stopping but unfortunately the disc has reverted to connecting to the master disc and dropped to -81 after i rebooted it

I may relocate a disc to see if i can force them to daisy chain again and see what happens.

0 Ratings
wenklaw
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Update:

I purchased another disc and now get -55db and a good signal, the disc stays daisy chained and BT sport over wifi has been rock solid now for weeks.  Job done.

Remember though i am not using the bt homehub.

0 Ratings
craigski
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Hi, thanks for posting. I would like to do something similar, ie remove powerline adapters.

I'm curious, how did you connect the BT YV box to WiFi?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
wenklaw
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

I am connecting my BT youview box via ethernet to a managed switch which then via ethernet connects into the ethernet on the back of the BTWH disc, that disc then uses the BTWH wifi backhaul to the primary BTWH disc which is connected to my wireless router also via a managed switch via ethernet, my wireless router is NOT a bt homehub.  Both my TPLINK archer router and both managed switches have QOS and IGMP snooping.

If you can simply replace my TPLINK Archer router for a BT Home hub is a question i couldnt answer as I dont use one, i cant see why not though but  I recall BT Homehubs will not transmit multicast over its native WiFi so you would need to keep a similar setup to me i would think. 

Routers need to be multicast ready and multicast traffic needs to be policed via QOS/IGMP snooping for it to work correctly.

In essence my BT youview box isnt really using WiFi in a sense, its just using a backhaul happens to be WiFi.  If that makes sense.

0 Ratings