cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

BT Whole Home WiFi and Remote Desktop

In general fantastic experience with BT Whole Home. My job means I live in a large 5 bed house with a study away from the main living areas - and that study is on a seperate power circuit leaving power line adpters useless. So it has been ideal.

However I have problems with Chrome Remote Desktop and other Remote Desktop solutions - I usually connect to my more powerful desktop from a Chromebook for work tasks like video editing.

This works fantastically from outside the network, but using the Whole Home WiFi it is very laggy indeed. Despite connection being good throughout the house and very fast for downloading and streaming.

This is when I am in a fixed location rather than walking about. I don't expect mesh miracles.

It is almost as if my Chromebook (either a Samsung Plus or Asus Flip) is having it's 'stream' from the desktop PC cut off and then switched on again. It works fine for a few minutes then hangs for 2 or 3 seconds. Like a stutter. It happens whatever resolution I am running, and with both Chrome Remote Desktop and with Jump which is using Windows Remode Desktop protocols.

The Desktop is connected directly to my BT Hub. And if I use the Hub's own WiFi (which is turned off normally) there is not an issue.

I am experimenting with changed channels on the Whole Home Wifi at present.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT Whole Home WiFi and Remote Desktop

Hi @edwardbgreen,

I'm interested to know if you're still experiencing problems.

Has changing the wireless channels helped you?

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
Oxlade1
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 6

Have you tried/are you able to connect the desktop PC to an Ethernet port on one of the Whole Home discs?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

No real improvement.

If my laptop is connected to the Disc that plugs directly into the router then the connection is absolutely fine.

As soon as it connects to another Disc the connection becomes laggy.

The PC cannot be connected to a Disc as it is in the same room as the Home Hub - so no spare ports!

0 Ratings
Oxlade1
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 6

Which firmware version are your discs running? Should be v1.02.01build22 for the latest.

I found it helped to restart my router then the discs after updating my set.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

I am on the latest firmware. Have reset everything.

The strange thing is if I connect my phone to the Disc network, and then share that connection over USB Tethering to the laptop I don't get the stuttering or connection issues.

So perhaps the connection issues are in particular between the Discs (but not the Master Disc) and ChromeOS laptops.

0 Ratings