cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dgw1
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 24

Re: BT Whole Home WiFi - device connected to WiFi but no connectivity to the internet issue

The problem is your access points. If you power down your router you also need to power down your access points, and then turn them on one by one starting with your router, then the access point closest to the router and then the next access point in line from the router and so on and so fourth. Having static IPs should speed up the connection time provided they are properly configured. If you are having to set up a new connection on a pc it might be worth doing a ipconfig/flushdns too...

0 Ratings
wenklaw
Contributor
Message 12 of 24

Re: BT Whole Home WiFi - device connected to WiFi but no connectivity to the internet issue

I have factory reset the whole home wifi and set back up following the correct procedure after a router factory reset and reboot as well.  The problem persists. 

The bottom line is these devices should be plug and play, you shouldn’t need to assign static ip addresses for it to work, i would like to add i have tried this and is still plays up.

Makes me think that maybe BT tested with the HH routers but obviously didn’t test with every 3rd party router which is understandable however the device isn’t fit for purpose as it stands as far as I am concerned,  I am not willing to spend hours trying to rectify manually a 'plug and play' device beyond what I have now tried.

Box coming out of the attic and its going back to BT.

Just to point out to people i am fairly tech savvy, my previous setup i configured an old HH5 to act as a wireless slave, worked fine for 2 years plus. I also run my own VPN and server, all this isnt difficult i agree but requires a degree of knowledge.

0 Ratings
wenklaw
Contributor
Message 13 of 24

This isnt going to beat me!!!!

Can anyone shed any light on the MAC addresses on the device as its a little confusing

On the BT Whole home wifi web interface in settings: Disc1 connected to router via ethernet

IP address 10.168.1.101 (this is within my routers DHCP pool range .100-.199, router ip 10.168.1.1)

Ethernet MAC showing as xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:58

2.4ghz MAC showing as xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:56

5ghz MAC showing as xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:57

On my router though the MAC showing for Disc 1 as connected to my router is the '2.4ghz MAC showing as xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:56' with the IP address 10.168.1.101, why is it the 2.4ghz MAC address and not the ethernet MAC ending :58?  I need to assign MAC and IP addresses together for this to work.  Currently just tried :56 on disc 1 and will see how it goes, I will then config disc 2 and 3.

Basically I suffered the issue with my tablet again last night, disconnected 3 times within 15 minutes, looking at logs and tablet IP it appears that the tablet at that point was being assigned via DHCP the same IP address as disc1 was using, obviously this will cause issues.  I want to reserve IP addresses for the Discs rather than the tablet as this will prevent future devices causing the same issue without me having to keep reserving IP addresses for individual devices when i hit issues. 

I was also thinking of assigning IP addresses outside of my DHCP range 10.168.1.99, .98 and .97 (disc 3,2,1) to see if this helped as always worked on my HH5 wifi slave setup.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 24

@wenklaw I'm sorry to see you're having problems with your Whole home wifi, I appreciate the inconvenience this must be causing.  If you haven't already I'd recommend you give the Whole home wifi team a call on 0808 100 6116 as they should be able to offer you further advice to resolve the issues you're having at the moment. 

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Oxlade1
Aspiring Expert
Message 15 of 24

@wenklaw wrote:

This isnt going to beat me!!!!

Can anyone shed any light on the MAC addresses on the device as its a little confusing

On the BT Whole home wifi web interface in settings: Disc1 connected to router via ethernet

IP address 10.168.1.101 (this is within my routers DHCP pool range .100-.199, router ip 10.168.1.1)

Ethernet MAC showing as xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:58

2.4ghz MAC showing as xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:56

5ghz MAC showing as xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:57

On my router though the MAC showing for Disc 1 as connected to my router is the '2.4ghz MAC showing as xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:56' with the IP address 10.168.1.101, why is it the 2.4ghz MAC address and not the ethernet MAC ending :58?  I need to assign MAC and IP addresses together for this to work.  Currently just tried :56 on disc 1 and will see how it goes, I will then config disc 2 and 3.

Basically I suffered the issue with my tablet again last night, disconnected 3 times within 15 minutes, looking at logs and tablet IP it appears that the tablet at that point was being assigned via DHCP the same IP address as disc1 was using, obviously this will cause issues.  I want to reserve IP addresses for the Discs rather than the tablet as this will prevent future devices causing the same issue without me having to keep reserving IP addresses for individual devices when i hit issues. 

I was also thinking of assigning IP addresses outside of my DHCP range 10.168.1.99, .98 and .97 (disc 3,2,1) to see if this helped as always worked on my HH5 wifi slave setup.

For the first point, the disc is using its 2.4GHz MAC address as the DHCP host MAC which is why even though it's using Ethernet, it uses that MAC in your router DHCP status.

Have you checked the firmware on each disc indivdually in the app - is there a chance one of them is still on an older firmware? 

0 Ratings
wenklaw
Contributor
Message 16 of 24

All firmware is current and the same across discs 1, 2 and 3.

The issue happened again this time affecting my Chromecast (plugged in to its own power supply), it disconnected then wouldnt reconnect until i rebooted the Chromecast.  I have now re-enabled the 5ghz wifi on my Tplink vr400 and the Chromecast and my tablet are fine with no disconnects.  I can live with this set-up but clearly over time and the more of these systems that get sold more people will start experiencing the same problem as me, it cant be unique.

When i get time i will call BT, at least i can send them some logs i have saved

0 Ratings
ioannis
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 24

Have you enabled compatibility mode in the whole home config pages? If not give it a try.
0 Ratings
wenklaw
Contributor
Message 18 of 24

Already done look at my very first post 3rd row down.

0 Ratings
Onejk
Message 19 of 24

i have exactly the same issue with one device. Is there a resolution to it?

0 Ratings
wenklaw
Contributor
Message 20 of 24

Basically no. I turned on my routers Wi-fi and use that for the tablet, fortunately I only use the tablet in places of my house that are in the routers Wi-fi range
0 Ratings