Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
miketja
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 39

BT Whole Home WiFi firmware update details

Hi all -

A happy user of the BT Whole Home WiFi product here.  Yes, I'm as surprised as anyone, based on my prior experience with BT's Home Hubs, but the Whole Home WiFi product really is working well for me.  Very pleased.

Anyway, I have a question: where can I get some detail on the items fixed by the new firmware updates, i.e. some sort of release notes?  I installed a firmware update today, for example, and I've no idea what's changed or been fixed or anything else really.  It would be good to have some details on that.

Thanks!

- Mike

0 Ratings
38 REPLIES 38
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 39

Re: BT Whole Home WiFi firmware update details

0 Ratings
Highlighted
ianonline999
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 39

Oh great I came to this link to find the answer, you have killed the thread by asking him to post on a long thread which i cant blame him hasnt. A fair question asked for which I would like an answer

I to can get my post counts to over 35k by posting meaningless comments

It was his first and probably last posting after that welcome

0 Ratings
ljm
Expert
Message 4 of 39

I too would be interested to know the answer to the OP's question please.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 39

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for release notes from BT, ain't gonna happen.

0 Ratings
seymour999
Beginner
Message 6 of 39

What firmware upgrade have you installed? I'm on v1.01.11 build13.

I wish I could say I'm as happy as you. I've had a number of problems in the six weeks I've had the product, which have involved many disc and Home Hub restarts. In fairness it seems better now, especially since I gave the discs static IP addresses outside the Home Hub 6 DHCP range. (many problems seemed to be IP clash related). But by no means perfect. Yesterday one of the discs crashed for no apparent reason (solid red light), resulting in my having to do a network restart as just power cycling the disc had no effect. Since then the app has been broken ("there's a problem with your internet connection" - which there isn't) although web interface working is OK. 

Any tips or advice?  I did battle my way to the helpdesk once (30 min wait for answer) but was told no known problems and that I should maybe try restarting my Home Hub.

0 Ratings
brummygit
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 39

I've updated to v1.01.13 build09 today.

I'm still pleased with my setup although I also agree a changelog would be great - but out of character for BT

0 Ratings
MorgaineD
Expert
Message 8 of 39

@brummygit writes:
> "a changelog would be great - but out of character for BT"

"Character" shouldn't really come into it. Providing release notes or a change log is how professional companies operate. Hiding what is changed on updates is neither professional nor satisfactory.

There is also another aspect to this. When equipment has been purchased outright, or when it was provided as part of a contract which has been completed successfuly, the equipment passes into ownership of the end user. BT's updates are then being done to equipment which it no longer owns. Under these circumstances, the owner has every right to be kept informed of what is being done to their equipment, particularly when (as in the case of HH6) updates have often wrecked a previously working product.

The current situation with update information is far from satisfactory, and BT should be called upon to improve it.
0 Ratings
miketja
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 39

@seymour999 wrote:

What firmware upgrade have you installed? I'm on v1.01.11 build13.

I wish I could say I'm as happy as you. I've had a number of problems in the six weeks I've had the product, which have involved many disc and Home Hub restarts. In fairness it seems better now, especially since I gave the discs static IP addresses outside the Home Hub 6 DHCP range. (many problems seemed to be IP clash related). But by no means perfect. Yesterday one of the discs crashed for no apparent reason (solid red light), resulting in my having to do a network restart as just power cycling the disc had no effect. Since then the app has been broken ("there's a problem with your internet connection" - which there isn't) although web interface working is OK. 

Any tips or advice?  I did battle my way to the helpdesk once (30 min wait for answer) but was told no known problems and that I should maybe try restarting my Home Hub.

I'm on v1.01.13 bulld09, though I only had one issue with the previous firmware -- one of the three nodes stopped working, though it thought it was working fine. Moving to another part of the house that was working and doing a restart from the iOS app solved that problem. 

I don't use a HomeHub. I got a HH6 with my new install, and it was rediculously bad -- so many problems in a matter of days I ended up buying an expensive Netgear Nighthawk VDSL router to replace it.  However, it's also far from perfect, and even though the WiFi was much better than the HH6, it didn't cover my entire home hence the BT WH WiFi order. But it does mean I've got a rather expensive WiFi router that's not being used for WiFi. *sigh*

(Oh, and I also had a brief flirtation with a Linksys Velop, which was equally catastrophic as the HH6). 

I'm not doing anything special with the BT WH WiFi.  I have other devices on my network with reserved DHCP IPs (mainly my Sonos kit) as the Netgear DHCP server does seem to dish out random IPs at every renew, which is annoying -- and that caused havok with Sonos. But I haven't (yet) reserved any IPs for the BT WH WiFi disks. 

And the biggest test just passed with flying colours: I returned from a multi-day business trip, and my wife had zero problems while I was gone. Yay!

- Mike 

0 Ratings
seymour999
Beginner
Message 10 of 39

where did you get the firmware update from? I've check via the app and the webpage many times and it's still saying I have the latest firmaware when clearly I don't if I'm still on v1.01.11 Build 13 Have you obtained a file for manual update?
0 Ratings