cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kungfuman
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

BT Whole Home Wifi - Minimum distance between discs?

I'm considering getting a few BT  whole home wifi discs to set up a mesh system in our home.

I am looking at how many units I need and was wondering if there is any guidance on the minimum distance between units so they wont cause issues (i.e. clients repeatedly switching due to close proximity between points).  I will be using ethernet backhaul on all units.

One of my concern is that I have a  dining area which opens into my living room and was consdering putting a unit in each of the far side of the rooms - distance of probably 10-12m between them.  There is seating about half way between the two units so wondering if this would cause issues as described if someone was using at this location.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT Whole Home Wifi - Minimum distance between discs?

By "I will be using ethernet backhaul on all units" do you mean by daisy chaining or each and every individual one?

Wholehome only allows a maximum of 2 ethernet backhauls whilst Premium Wholehome only allows 1

0 Ratings
kungfuman
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

I was hoping to ethernet wire to each individual one if possible as I have installed ethernet wiring throughout the house which are wired back to switches.

Is this not possible then?

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 4

Sorry, for some reason I was convinced that the maximum was 2 but I could be wrong. 

"Can I connect more than one disc to my hub (router) using the Ethernet cables?
If you're using Whole Home Wi-Fi or Mini Whole Home Wi-Fi, you can. If you wish, you can locate a disc a long distance from your hub (router) - for example, in an outbuilding - and have an Ethernet cable connection back to your hub (router). Just plug in the cable in the disc’s RJ45 socket and it'll join your Whole Home Wi-Fi network.

If you're using Premium Whole Home Wi-Fi, you can't. Only your first disc can be connected to the hub (router) using an Ethernet cable. If you wish to connect more discs by Ethernet, you'll need to connect them to the Ethernet port on another disc. You can also use the Ethernet ports on these discs for devices such as TVs and printers."

https://www.bt.com/help/user-guides/bt-whole-home-wi-fi/bt-whole-home-wi-fi-faqs---set-up-and-instal...

0 Ratings