cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JonEllison
Message 1 of 2

BT Whole Home Wifi - Mixing Wifi and Ethernet - Issues with App/topology

Good evening

Today I tried to set up 2 lots of 2xWhole Home Wifi routers.

The network set up is a Genexis HRG1000 router connected out to fibre internet, and then in to that I've got plugged a TP-Link 8 port smart switch.

Most of my devices are then plugged in to that TP-Link, switch (console, TV, computer) as well as the primary BT disc.

The secondary disc is located within wifi distance.

I then have a BT digital powerline (the 500 model), one end plugged in to the TP-Link switch. At the other end of the powerline is the third BT disc. A fourth disc is not far away from that third disc. Discs 3 and 4 are not within wifi distance of Discs 1 and 2.

It seems that the whole set up is working well - all discs are blue, I've rebooted and they stay blue, and I've wandered around and got a perfect signal pretty much everywhere I've gone.

However, the App on my phone will only show Discs 1 and 2, with 3 and 4 listed as Disconnected, or if I'm located in the other half of the house, Discs 3 and 4 with Discs 1 and 2 showing as Disconnected. Similarly, logging directly in to the web interface on Discs 1/2 shows that Discs 3 and 4 are both missing, and vice versa.

What's going on here? It seems like it has created two separate networks; will it pass me off between the different devices? It appears to be doing so, but I don't really understand what is going on, and why the app is showing only one half of the network at any one time. 

If all four devices are located in the same room (in a test scenario) they all show blue and all show up together in the app, so it must be something to do with the digital powerline?

Many thanks.

Jonathon

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 2 of 2

Re: BT Whole Home Wifi - Mixing Wifi and Ethernet - Issues with App/topology

@JonEllisonwrote:

Good evening

Today I tried to set up 2 lots of 2xWhole Home Wifi routers.

The network set up is a Genexis HRG1000 router connected out to fibre internet, and then in to that I've got plugged a TP-Link 8 port smart switch.

Most of my devices are then plugged in to that TP-Link, switch (console, TV, computer) as well as the primary BT disc.

The secondary disc is located within wifi distance.

I then have a BT digital powerline (the 500 model), one end plugged in to the TP-Link switch. At the other end of the powerline is the third BT disc. A fourth disc is not far away from that third disc. Discs 3 and 4 are not within wifi distance of Discs 1 and 2.

It seems that the whole set up is working well - all discs are blue, I've rebooted and they stay blue, and I've wandered around and got a perfect signal pretty much everywhere I've gone.

However, the App on my phone will only show Discs 1 and 2, with 3 and 4 listed as Disconnected, or if I'm located in the other half of the house, Discs 3 and 4 with Discs 1 and 2 showing as Disconnected. Similarly, logging directly in to the web interface on Discs 1/2 shows that Discs 3 and 4 are both missing, and vice versa.

What's going on here? It seems like it has created two separate networks; will it pass me off between the different devices? It appears to be doing so, but I don't really understand what is going on, and why the app is showing only one half of the network at any one time. 

If all four devices are located in the same room (in a test scenario) they all show blue and all show up together in the app, so it must be something to do with the digital powerline?

Many thanks.

Jonathon

Hi,

It's possible your TP-Link Smart Switch is blocking the management traffic between the discs, so those connected either side of that switch can't see each other. Do you know whether the switch filters multicast traffic? The discs use a multicast type "layer 2" protocol to communicate so it's worth checking whether your switch is preventing this.

Dan-O

0 Ratings