cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Tranquility
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 22

BT Whole Home Wifi Secondary Disc Ethernet Node Connection?

Go to solution

Hi There,

I wish to connect PCs via an ethernet hub to the ethernet port on a secondary (remote) BT Whole Home WiFi disc, rather than use it as a hardwired Backend Ethernet connection, as is it's primary purpose, is this possible? E.g. ....

PCs <--Ethernet--> Hub <--Ethernet--> Secondary Disc <== WiFi  ==> Primary Disk <--Ethernet--> Internet Router

I don't want to buy the system if I can't do this.

Thnaks!

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 22

Re: BT Whole Home Wifi Secondary Disc Ethernet Node Connection?

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Tranquility
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 22

Go to solution

Thanks Keith, but that link is innaccessible to me, the server does not reply? Maybe because I do not have BT broadband? I did try it earlier & it comes from another question posted here that is not the same as my question, or as straight forward. Thus I was unable to accurately ascertain an answer. I don't want to spend money on equipment that does not fulfil my requirements!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 22

Go to solution

@Tranquility wrote:

Thanks Keith, but that link is innaccessible to me, the server does not reply? Maybe because I do not have BT broadband? I did try it earlier & it comes from another question posted here that is not the same as my question, or as straight forward. Thus I was unable to accurately ascertain an answer. I don't want to spend money on equipment that does not fulfil my requirements!

It was only an image, see below

hhwifi extra ports.jpg

0 Ratings
Tranquility
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 22

Go to solution
Having some problems with this setup, as soon as I hard wire a pc or switch to the slave whole home wifi device via Ethernet, the device disconnects from the master. It looks like the backhaul gets rerouted through the Ethernet port and thus fails. I can't see any way to stop the backhaul from rerouting.
This is a show stopper for me so any help would be apreciated!
Thanks
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 22

Go to solution

May be worth asking @Dan-O the BT Device expert, as I cannot see why this should be an issue, and I am sure others have got it working, as the picture I posted was related to an earlier thread on this forum.

An Ethernet switch should simply pass the data  to the PC, unless there is something within the software which prevents this. It does need to be verified.

0 Ratings
Tranquility
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 22

Go to solution
Hi Keith,
I should add that I by-passed the switch and plugged the PC straight into the Whole Home device. My phone connected to it & I could ping the PC, it's just that the WiFi mesh was offline.
Thanks
Chris
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 22

Go to solution

I think we will have to wait for a reply from the BT Devices expert.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 22

Go to solution

@BrunoN

Can you help @Tranquility on this thread please?

0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 10 of 22

Go to solution

@Tranquilitywrote:
Hi Keith,
I should add that I by-passed the switch and plugged the PC straight into the Whole Home device. My phone connected to it & I could ping the PC, it's just that the WiFi mesh was offline.
Thanks
Chris

Hi @Tranquility, if I read this thread correctly, in summary you're simply now trying to plug a PC to the Ethernet port on the back of a secondary disk and that doesn't work? The short answer is that scenario should simply just work... So obviously something else is going on.

Could you describe your symptoms in a bit more detail (in particular, what do you exactly mean by your WiFi mesh was "offline"?), and maybe someone else can help if they've seen this before. 

Otherwise, please contact the helpdesk as these symptoms may be hiding another underlying issue which they'll need to resolve first.

Device expertBrunoN
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings