cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

BT Whole Home Wifi - force devices onto nearest disc?

I have one of my four BT Whole Home Wifi discs placed close to the front door, so that my video doorbell and security camera have a good connection. However whenever I need to reboot the system (or individual discs) the doorbell and security camera will often reconnect to a disc much further away (e.g. at the back of the house). As a result, their wifi connection is poor and they frequently drop their connection (albeit briefly).

Is there any way of "forcing" a device to connect to a specific disc without having to power cycle it? The doorbell camera in particular is a pain in the neck to power cycle as it is hardwired to a  shared power supply.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT Whole Home Wifi - force devices onto nearest disc?

There is no way to do this, this is one of the reasons I moved to Unifi is ultimately the Wholehome system just didnt have enough configuratable (not a word) settings.

Every time there was a power cut the blooming discs wouldnt MESH with each other in the optimum order even though I selected 'Prefer Daisy Chain' on the admin page, they would still sometimes connect to a disc further away.

Each time there was a reboot I would find myself turning off all my devices, turning off all the discs, powering on each disc in the right order whilst also powering on the devices nearest the disc I wanted them to connect to.

Eventually enough was a enough, I installed ethernet everywhere and got Unifi setup, it had helped me so much but I outgrew it and being able to lock a device to a certain disc would be a huge benefit but it is not there.

If you want this sort of configuration the original AC2600 discs wont do it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquity ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Yeah I'm thinking of upgrading as I constantly seem to be running around the house fixing devices that have randomly dropped off the wifi network.

As a matter of interest, what Unifi hardware did you go for?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

I went for a Cloud Key Gen 2 for the controller and then u6+’s for inside the house and their Swiss Army Knife ultras for outside.

I have a 30’s house which is forever concrete so have a lot of AP’s to cover it. They will MESH if Ethernet is not there but recommended that you get a POE switch and network them all via Ethernet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquity ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings