Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BT TV Expert
BT TV Expert
Message 11 of 27

Re: BT Whole Home Wifi interfering with BT TV

Hi James,

how are are you getting on, still having the same issues?

Steve

Community ModeratorSteveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on TV queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BTTV queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
Jamescg1972
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 27

Hi Steve,

I am, yes, or at least I was on friday. I am away for a few days with my family. 

HAve you any suggestions what I can try when I get home?

Cheers

James

0 Ratings
BT TV Expert
BT TV Expert
Message 13 of 27

I don't, but in the mean time I'll try and reproduce it in the office
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on TV queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BTTV queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
Jamescg1972
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 27

Hi Steve,

Did you manage to reproduce my issue in the office?

Im back from holiday and the tv is still freezing,

cheers. 

James.  

0 Ratings
BT TV Expert
BT TV Expert
Message 15 of 27

Hi @Jamescg1972,

Sorry it's been a little while but I've managed to reproduce this issue now using the HomeHub 5A and WholeHome Wi-Fi solution in conjunction with other (Andriod/iOS) devices conncted and in use over wi-fi.

I've managed to get some captures and will work with the internal team on a fix or mitigation.

Happy to post you a SmartHub to see if that clears your issues?

Steve 

Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
0 Ratings
Jamescg1972
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 27

Hi Steve,

Thanks for getting back to me. Don't worry about the delay, its good you can help at all.

Is the internal team the same as via the btconnectedhome email address?

I emailed them the other day, as the issue was starting to bug my wife when I switched the whole home wifi back on so I could do some work and they have been asking me info about the issue, so it may be worth sharing with them.

I'm glad you have managed to replicate the issue as it means it isn't just my house (couldn't see how it could be, but you start to think so when no one else seems to know anything about it).

Sending me a smart hub would be brilliant, if thats OK and you think it might sort the issue out. I'll PM my address to you.

Cheers

James

0 Ratings
Jamescg1972
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 27

Hi Steve,

I received the new smarthub and the whole home wifi units still interfere with the TV, when I use them.

The wifi is better than it was just using the hub on its own, rather than the old hub (though it seems a little unstable - sometimes wifi is brilliant in the study (say 25-30 - not the 60-70 I get elsewhere in the house, but more than i need for my laptop), sometimes it drops out, sometimes it is in the order of 2-3 meg. Laptop always in the same place. Bewildering!)

Thanks for trying to help.

Cheers

James

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 27

@Jamescg1972 Sorry about that, I've left a message with @Steve_M to let him know you've posted. 

Community ModeratorNeilO
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Jamescg1972
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 27

Thanks Neil.

You (and Steve) have nothing to apologise for, you're both trying to help.

It is slightly frustrating though, that I've spent a big chunk of money on a BT product to help the performance of another BT product and it interferes with a third BT product.

I have to say though, the wifi discs themselves improve the wifi Performance hugely when I've had them switched on and they work seamlessly. It's just a shame we can't then watch the telly.

Thanks, as ever, for your help.

Cheers

James.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 27

There is one thing left you could try, and that would be to connect a managed network switch to one of the ports of the home hub, and connect the BT TV box to one port of the managed switch, and the BT Whole Home Wifi to another.

The managed switch will prevent the multicast packets from reaching the BT Whole Home Wifi, as I suspect that is the cause.

See this recent thread about a similar issue.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/BT-Sport-4K-problems-with-NOW-TV-SMART-box/m-p/1...

And another https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/Bt-Vision-box-and-netgear-switch/m-p/1685772#M13...

The Netgear GS105E would do this just using default settings.

I think its worth a try, as you do not want multicast packets reaching the WiFi anyway.

You can also give the BT TV box the highest priority to avoid loss of througput.

0 Ratings