cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jamescg1972
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 27

Re: BT Whole Home Wifi interfering with BT TV

Thanks. I'll give it a go. Should I be connecting both bt boxes and whole home wifi into the switch?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 27

@Jamescg1972 wrote:
Thanks. I'll give it a go. Should I be connecting both bt boxes and whole home wifi into the switch?

Yes, it will give you an option to make any adjustments to QOS and give the vision box priority on both multicast and streaming media.

As I said on my other thread, make both the Internet in from the home hub, and the vision box, high priority, and set the port that the BT Whole Home wifi Ethernet port, to normal priority. That is done using the port based QOS settings.

You need to connect any other Ethernet devices to that managed switch, and not directly to the home hub. So you will only be using one port of the home hub, which will connect to the managed switch.

The only think that you would not be able to manage, would be any wifi devices that are connected to the home hubs own SSID, but as you are using The BT Whole Home wifi, then there would be no point in using the hub SSID.

In the example config shown below, port 1 connects to the home hub, port 2 connects to the BT Vision box,, and port 3 connects to the Whole Home Wifi

netgear QOS.jpg

If you want to apply rate limiting to any port, you do it on this screen.

netgear rate.jpg

0 Ratings
Jamescg1972
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 27

Right - that's all set up - I went with the 8 port one and have put all wired connections (xbox, PS3, one of the multitude of PCs we seem to have) through the managed switch, so there is only the connection from the hub to the switch connected directly from the hub.

I've put the hub and two tvs boxes as high, the whole home wifi as normal and all others as low and turned the whole home wifi on.

I guess we'll know if its worked soon enough. I'll feed back one way or the other (quickly if it doesn't solve the problem as I will know that for sure today, slower if all is well as I will wait a couple of days to see if the issue reoccurs).

Thanks, as ever.

Cheers

James

0 Ratings
Jamescg1972
Aspiring Contributor
Message 24 of 27

Hi all,

said id feedback...

not good, I'm afraid.

still getting freezing of tv.

not as much, I'm told, but then I went away for work and the wifi discs got switched off again, so not sure how often is "not as much".

I may have to admit defeat and switch tv to sky, unless there are more settings on the managed switch I can play with...

cheers

james. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 25 of 27

There may be some settings on the discs, but you could try the rate limiting options on the Ethernet switch so that the discs get a reduced bandwidth.

Not sure how fast your Internet connection is, but you could start by setting the ingress and egress to 8Mbs for the port that the discs are connected to. This is plenty fast enough for normal Internet usage.

If that works, then try an egress setting of 16Mbs.

0 Ratings
Jamescg1972
Aspiring Contributor
Message 26 of 27

Hi Keith,

Didn't work, I'm afraid.

Still freezes.

Thasnk for all your help though.

Cheers

James

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 27 of 27

I am sure that other people must have BT YouView and BT Whole Home Wifi running together, so it must be something specific to your installation.

Perhaps your download speed is dropping off during peak times? A BT speed test would confirm that.

0 Ratings