cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nikpearson
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

BT Whole Home disc connection issue. Disc connects to main unit rather than nearest/strongest

I've been using Whole Home for about 9 months. At first I had a problem with the disc placed furthest away from the main unit (plugged into Smart Hub) connecting to the main unit rather than one of the discs which was much closer. The connection to the main unit gave a poor signal (yellow light), when connected to the closest disc the signal was good (blue light).  This issue seemed to resolve itself; I'm not sure how but I had a stable MESH network for about 4 or 5 months.

A fault with my broadband connection a couple of days ago have led to  a replacement Smart Hub, some new external cabling and the DLM line profile has been reset. All seemed well but now the problem from above has returned. I have 4 discs in total: the main, and three others spread through the house and an annexe. The disc in the annexe is tending to connect to the main unit with a poor signal rather than the closest disc which gives a good signal.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to resolve this?

Many thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
BrunoN
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT Whole Home disc connection issue. Disc connects to main unit rather than nearest/strongest

Hi, do you actually see connection drops or slow speed?

If not and all is working well other than an unsightly yellow light, I suggest you just let it be. A yellow light isn't necessarily a problem; it just shows less than ideal signal strength getting to that disc. But with wi-fi, poor signal strength doesn't necessarily mean poor speed or drop outs.

If you have problems, then you could try moving the disc a bit. Sometimes even moving it a little bit on the shelf or cabinet is enough. It might be a bit of trial and error as you'll need to give it a few hours to settle.

Unfortunately, wi-fi environment can sometimes be a finicky thing and isn't an exact science...

Let us know how you get on and if you're still not happy someone else may have another idea.

Hope this helps.

0 Ratings
nikpearson
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Re: BT Whole Home disc connection issue. Disc connects to main unit rather than nearest/strongest

Thanks for your reply.

Yes the connection is actually slow. Closer to 5-7 Mbps than the 25-30 Mbps I get from the other discs.

The problem seems to be that this disc connects to the main disc plugged into the hub some distance away, rather than the one in my kitchen which is much closer. If it connects via the one in the kitchen then the speed is normal and the light is blue.

I don’t understand why the disc doesn’t link to the strongest/nearest disc, instead picking the much weaker signal from the main unit.

0 Ratings
BrunoN
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 4 of 6

Hi, ok, understood. It can sometimes take a couple of days for the system to find the best configuration. Is it working better now 2 days later? If not, try to reboot all your discs: switch them all off, then switch them back on starting with the one connected to your router; and wait for its light to turn solid blue for a couple of minutes.

Then switch all your other discs on one by one.

Then wait a couple of days for the system to settle again. Don't be tempted to tamper with it if you see short drops; that's normal as the system settles.

Hope this helps.

0 Ratings
nikpearson
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Thank you for this information. The disc do appear to have settled in an appropriate configuration with good signals throughout. This did take quite a while but will hopefully remain stable.

0 Ratings
Rupert-osborne
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Move the discs further apart as a Device will always connect to the strongest signal  and stay connected until it loses signal altogether and then we will reconnect to the only signal

Otherwise you will have to manually select the correct disk ( wi-Fi signal) this on your device 

0 Ratings