Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Labrajaws
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

BT Whole Home - increasing number of ethernet ports on discs

Go to solution

I would like to increase the number of ethernet ports I can plug devices into on the Whole Home discs (the ones not connected to the router i.e. the 'satellite' discs).

Is this possible by plugging an Ethernet switch into the back of the discs and then connecting multiple devices into the switch's ethernet ports (Smart TV, XBox, Freeview box etc).

If so, does this give a faster/more reliable connection to the discs (than a Wifi connection) for things like Netflix on a Smart TV or gaming on an XBox?

Thanks

Andy

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT Whole Home - increasing number of ethernet ports on discs

Go to solution

@Labrajaws 

Yes you can do that. Whether its any faster is going to depend on the wireless speed between the disc and the master disk. Here is an example.

hhwifi extra ports.jpg

Labrajaws
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks @Keith_Beddoe 

Wouldn't the improvement depend on the wireless speed between the device (e.g. XBox) and the disc it is connecting to?

Wired via cat5e/cat6 cable:  1000MBps (if no other devices using switch)

Wireless: 2600MBps (maximum)

Regards

Andy

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

I assumed you wanted to connect hard wired devices to the Ethernet switch?

I do not know whether the performance would be better that a direct wireless connection, as that would depend on the environment. I am not familiar with that product, as it not specific to BT, as its just a retail product.

0 Ratings
Labrajaws
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

All my devices where speed/performance is important (Smart TVs and XBox) have both ethernet ports and wifi capability. Hence I'm just after the best connection to each disc - wired vs wireless.

Thanks

Andy

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Speed can only be as fast as the slowest link in the chain. I.e for internet connection your DSL speed will be the governing factor. The only time wifi speed is relevant is when connecting between devices on your LAN, e.g smart TV to NAS.

gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

If you connect your Smart TV and XBox by Ethernet to the Ethernet switch which is connected to the disc, you are still ultimately connecting by wireless. ie wireless from the Smarthub to the disc so you would be as well doing away with the Ethernet switch and use the wireless connection on your devices.

You would only have a "proper" Ethernet connection, which is the best way to connect Smart TV and XBox for the best speed, if you connect by Ethernet directly to the Smarthub.

0 Ratings
northshields
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Or possibly a Homeplug arrangement would work better than connecting to the disc?

0 Ratings
linka6979
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Is it possible to link the discs back to the hub using cat 5 cables for better performance? Thanks in advance

0 Ratings