Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
oakserver
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 25

BT Whole Home vs Google Wifi

Go to solution

OK, so I'm lucky enough to have been able to try both the BT Whole home wifi and Google Wifi.

Before Google's Wifi offering I had used BTWHWifi and was quite happy with it expept for a few bugs. Sometimes the BT Whole home would need a reboot as the system became unresponsive to the BT App.

I sold the Whole Home in favour of the Google Wifi. I consider the Google device better looking than the vertical standing BT disc. The Google Wifi, once setup (which was harder than the BT to do) seems to be more stable. The app never loses connection to the devices and everything just works. The Guest wifi is great too.

However, I am regretting the decision to go down the Google route for the following reasons:

1)The Google Wifi is a network of routers. They create their own network in the 192.168.86.x range and there is no way to change it. It works better if you can do away with your existing router or put your existing router into bridge mode in order that it behaves as a modem only.

2) By switching you existing router into bridge mode you loose all your of your router capabilities.

3) For me at least, it doesnt with BT Parental controls so I have to use OpenDNS instead for content filtering.

My question(s) is, can anyone confirm what the latest firmware for BT Whole Home is and whether it has brought any stability to the system. Does anyone else find the Wifi Pause a bit problematic in terms of when you need to enable it again. I rememer all sort of problems and a complete reboot of the discs resolved that. 

I'm tempted to ebay the Google Wifi and buy the Whole Home again.... I do wish the BT Whole Home Wifi was more stable as it is faster and better for my needs than the Google Wifi.

0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
Martyfp68
Contributor
Message 2 of 25

Re: BT Whole Home vs Google Wifi

Go to solution

Hi Oakserver

I am wondering how you are getting on with the google-wifi vs BT-WH decision/comparison.

After struggling with extenders for a couple of years we're about to take the plunge on a mesh system and I am currently trying to decide between Google and BT.

Did you move back to BT-WH ?

0 Ratings
pcfarrar
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 25

Go to solution

I would buy the Ubiquiti AmpliFi system. I have one and it's extremely reliable, never needs rebooting and just works. It also has many of configuration features that are lacking in Google WiFi.

It's expensive but it's rock solid in reliability and Ubiquiti are constantly improving it with new features etc.

0 Ratings
Martyfp68
Contributor
Message 4 of 25

Go to solution

Thanks for the pointer - I have heard about the Amplifi system but have not delved into it yet. Need to do some research into it.

One deciding factor is going to be support for BT-TV multicast. Looks like this is problematic with Google-wifi.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
pcfarrar
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 25

Go to solution

I don't have BT-TV to try on my AmpliFi system unfortunately.

AmpliFi has only just launched in the UK. I have just the AmpliFi HD router and one HD mesh point. This together covers my entire house and back garden. I had Google WiFi previously and the coverage was nowhere near as good as AmpliFi.

0 Ratings
Martyfp68
Contributor
Message 6 of 25

Go to solution

Ok thanks - I will do some research into it.   btw - I love the look of the HD router 🙂

0 Ratings
Alexwaddell
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 25

Go to solution
The Bt whole Home Wifi latest firmware is v1.02.01 build 22 and I have to say that it has been absolutely rock solid. Uptime has been 30 days and counting (as opposed to less than 24 hours on other firmware). Really impressed with it tbh.

I have got a Ubiquiti EdgeX router between my virgin media router (modem mode) and the BT WHW. Thoroughly recommend the Ubiquiti kit, it's fantastic.
Glasgow,
Scotland
0 Ratings
oakserver
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 25

Go to solution

Yes, I moved back to the BT Whole Home Wifi.

So much more stable, the latest firmware for the BT devices works perfectly on my setup - although I do use a wired backhaul.

I have so much more control as well being able to use my own router (not a HomeHub though!) and have no problem with BT parental controls which I did with the Google Wifi.

Very impressed and surprised being that it's has the BT logo. I just hope BT keep developing it and add a guest wifi which is the only thing I miss from the google wifi.

0 Ratings
Oxlade1
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 25

Go to solution

Sounds like you will be pleased, this is in the app description:

Coming Soon
We’re always looking to improve the Whole Home Wi-Fi app and have been listening to your feedback. We have an exciting roadmap of new features including extra ‘Pause’ controls which you can tailor to specific users or devices; the addition of Guest Network functionality; the ability to support up to 6 discs via the app and other improvements coming soon.

0 Ratings
brummygit
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 25

Go to solution

It sounds like our usage is very much alike. I also use a 3rd party router (Asus RT-AC68U) with my Whole Home Wifi and backhaul the discs over ethernet. Also like you I had issues of stability using the earlier firmware versions - either that the app couldn't connect, or that checks for new firmware would never complete.

I'm pleased to say that since firmware 1.02.01 build 22 my setup is rock solid and I'm very happy.

I was nervous of Google WiFi as they have history for dropping projects on a whim when they get bored of them.

I also use BT TV and at the moment I have an issue with the Asus QoS classifying the multicast traffic as upstream consumption of bandwidth rather than download and therefore throttling my uplink speed just when I am using the most bandwidth. Asus support have confirmed the bug with me and hope to fix in the next release.

If it wasn't for the QoS that is needed for my heavy gamer son competing with 2 TVs using BT TV, Netflix etc and normal heavy internet users consuming all of my 55Mb / 13Mb Infinity line, I would be happy to switch back to the Smarthub too. It's a shame that no QoS is on the hub as the potential for distributing BT WiFi over the discs as hinted in the future plans is also quite interesting. I would also love to see closer integration with the Smarthub so that the Hub is effectively the first disc in what would then be a 4 disc mesh setup, handing traffic between them all seamlessly.

All in all I'm really impressed with the whole home wifi setup

0 Ratings