Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

BT Whole home disconnects as I walk through my house

Go to solution

Hi, hoping someone can help.

Today I installed 4 discs by following the instructions. The walls in the house are thick, so each disc can only be seen in the adjacent room. they are all connective via wifi rather than cable (except the one plugged into the router). All works well and i get good spped everywhere but it all falls apart when i move rooms.

Using the app i can see my phone (Oneplus3T Andoid 8.0)  will connect to the disc of the room i am in initially. When i move rooms it will stay on the intial disc, getting weaker and weaker signal as i move away, until my phone disconnects, turns mobile data on, then about 10 seconds later will reconnect to whole home wifi and will then be locked to the disc in the room that this occured. This then happends over and over as i move rooms.

The holding onto degraded signal, the disconnect and reconnect means that what ever wifi call i was on has usually given up reconnecting at this point and dropped the call.

Is this expected behaviour? Is there anything i can do to make it more seamless as it is useless for my purpose?

It feels a little like all i have is some really expensive APs

PS. i have run firmware updates 
image.pngimage.png

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Whole home disconnects as I walk through my house

Go to solution

From the display, it looks to be connecting at 5Ghz.

Can the wifi be split an change the SSIDs so that they are different? Add ".5" to the end of the 5Ghz SSID, then all connected devices should be on the 2.4Ghz. That has a far greater reach and may help.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution
Hi Andy, thanks for the reply. I don't see any options for renaming the 5Ghz SSID separate from the 2.4 one?
0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution
Hi @jswanston, you definitely wouldn't want to split the SSIDs as that would defeat the object of whole home wi-fi.
You say you installed your network yesterday. The advice is usually to wait for a couple of days to let the network settle and find its configuration in your home environment.
So leave it alone for a few days; don't reboot it, don't change settings, etc. If it still loses connection later this week, then let us know here, or contact the helpdesk.
Hope this helps.
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution
Thanks. Will leave it to bed in and report back.
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution
Hey everyone, thanks for steering me right.

All I needed was patience. It took between 48 and 72 hours after I set up the system for everything to work as expected. I can now walk from one end of the house to the other on a WiFi call, and be seamlessly transferred across 4 discs. This is a brave new world!

Somebody needs to have a word with the technical phone support guys. Their advice of turn my WiFi off and on again on my phone as I go to each room was not very useful and it came from 2 separate calls.

Jonny
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks for the update @jswanston. Good to hear you're up and running.

I've passed on your feedback to the team about the helpdesk. Although turning a phone's wi-fi off/on is good advice for resolving a one-off problem, it certainly should not be positioned a permanent solution. Sorry about that. 

0 Ratings