Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
speedf
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 44

BT WholeHome and wireless printer speed

Hi,

I've had a BT WholeHome for a few weeks now and it seems to work pretty well.  Speeds are good and now have full coverage around the house.  All my devices work with the exception of an Epson WP-4535 wireless printer.  When connected to the BT WholeHome, printing is *extremely* slow (i.e. about 1 page every minute).  If I connect straight to my router's wifi (no other changes to the printer), then speed is as expected.  My second printer (an HP 8600 wireless printer) is fine on the BT WholeHome. 

Has anyone else experience this, and have any advice?

0 Ratings
43 REPLIES 43
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 44

Re: BT WholeHome and wireless printer speed

I do not have the WholeHome, but I am wondering whether its a channel conflict slowing down wireless communication?

Is the printer correctly setup for Infrastructure, and not Ad Hoc by mistake?

Ad Hoc would result in it transmitting a wireless signal which may be on the same channel as the WholeHome.

0 Ratings
speedf
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 44

I don't think it's a channel conflict - I've tried changing channels with no effect.  There's no option on the printer to select adhoc or infrastructure (and, if adhoc was even an option, I don't think I'd get any communications).  If I change the printer to use my router's SSID then all is fine.

There's got to be some kind of network compatibility issue between the WholeHome and this particular Epson printer.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 44

Perhaps its sending large amounts of status information back, which is saturating the mesh network?

I would expect there would be a delay over the mesh network, and the printer may be expecting a handshake for each data byte, which would slow throughput.

See if anyone else has any suggestions.

0 Ratings
speedf
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 44

I agree - I suspect something like this might be causing a problem, but surely a printer shouldn't be causing the whole mesh to have a problem.  My other printer (an HP 8600 wireless printer, also connected to the mesh) doesn't suffer at all.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 44

I seem to remember that when I had an Epson printer, there was a bit of software on the computer called "Epson Status Monitor"

This used to keep polling the printer to get the status, not sure if that is the case now?

Does the Epson printer use bi-directional communication, and the HP does not?

Its a strange problem.

0 Ratings
speedf
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 44

It's not something that is specific to comms from a PC to the Epson. If I airprint from an ipad to the Epson, it's still ridiculously slow. Simply changing the network the Epson connects to (i.e to my router rather than the WholeHome) solves the problem. Is there any tech support email contact details for BT that I can use to contact them?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 44

I doubt that BT support could help with this issue, but the BT WholeHome product development team may have some ideas.

Not sure how you could go about contacting them, so I will ask one of the moderators to comment.

0 Ratings
speedf
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 44

You're right.  BT support didn't seem to even know about the product until I pointed them towards the product web page!  Be grateful if someone could tell me the details of the development team, otherwise it's going back to where I bought it from.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 44

Have you tried running Wireshark to see if it gives you any clues as to what is happening on the network?

0 Ratings