All my WholeHome discs have the same name. When I change the name of one disc, the name of every other disk instantly changes to the same name. For example, if I rename one disc "Bedroom" then all six of my discs are now named "Bedroom".
In addition, though I can see each disc in the Topology tab in the Android app, only the top disc (the "master" disc, physically connected to my router) is labelled with a name. On the Home tab I can only see this one master disc - none of the others are shown (they used to be, so I could see the status of each disc individually).
This first happened a couple of months ago, after the most recent update, when I added three new discs. As I named each of these, all the other new discs and the master disc changed their names to match the new name. The other old discs weren't renamed. So with some annoyance I just set the network up from scratch again, only to discover that the same problem now occurs with every disc.
The network is otherwise working fine - the discs are connected properly and provide WiFi, but the fact they all have the same name makes them awkward to manage.
When I've searched for problems, all I find is the common issue that devices (e.g, phones and computers) connected to the network share duplicate names. That's not my problem here - it's the naming of the discs themselves that is being duplicated.
Solved! Go to Solution.
Please can you contact the helpdesk on email@example.com who will help retrieve diagnostic logs to help us understand what is happening in your setup.
If you rename the discs via the web interface (go to http://mybtdevice.home from a device connected to the Whole Home Wi-Fi network), do these names show correctly in the app?
The fact that they show in Topology and not in the main screen means the app does not recognise them as installed discs. It appears that the install process when using "Add Another Disc" is not functioning normally for you.
@fishsticks, a long shot and some due apologies if I'm stating the obvious, but are you sure you're not mistakenly changing the network name, rather than the disc's name.
Rename Disc is under Disc details.
No offence taken, but no. That's definitely not the case.
I'll add some screenshots to walk through the problem I'm having: https://imgur.com/a/JMgDxme
Thanks for the suggestion anyway - good to eliminate the obvious early on!
Thanks for the screenshots and the commentary, that's really helpful.
Looking at this, it seems to narrow the problem down to the fact your Home screen only shows one disc when obviously you have more than one discs installed. The fact all discs appear to share the same name is a side effect of that problem, rather than being the problem itself.
I don't have a solution to that Home screen problem just yet, but let us have a discussion internally and we'll come back to you with some ideas to try.
In the meantime, could you please confirm that you originally added the 3 extra discs using the "Add Another Disc" button. And also that you've tried a full factory reset on all discs, then start installing from scratch by first installing discs from your original pack (which I assume was a triple pack), then adding each new discs one by one using the "Add Another Disc" button (which will ensure they get added to the right network).
Hope this helps for now.
I did use the "add another disc" button when I installed the three new discs, which is when this problem started. To be completely honst I can be sure precisely how I reset the discs and started afresh, but I think I would have used the "add new disc" button. I'm also not 100% sure that I performed a factory reset on each disc.
The truth is that this is only midly irritating - the network works fine apart from the representation of the discs in the app. As a consequence it has been a couple of months since I added the new discs, and it hasn't been annoying enough to be worth the hassle of resetting them all.
However, I'm inspired now. I'll reset each disc and try installing them in order.
Okay, so I have started to re-install the disc again. Now that I start doing this, I'm pretty sure I did reset them properly last time. However, they now appear to be adding properly and I can assign individual names. Whatever was wrong, clearly isn't any more.
Thanks for your help - seems to be working now.