cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

BT Wholehome Premium Error 42

Go to solution

I have 4 BT whole home discs in my network approx 3 years old , I purchased an additional wholehome premium disc to use the dual ethernet ports but have been unable to add this new disc to my network

I have the new disc attached directly to my HH6 router this also has an existing older disc directly connected via ethernet.

It detects the new premium disc through add a disc on the app but throws an error

Unable to detect disc Press WPS again wait for 5 seconds for green flashing light and  try again 

Error code : setup-042

I have tried the WPS route with the same error message repeating

Guess my 1st question is , is the Wholehome premium disc incompatible with the older style discs 

Any advice greatly appreciated

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT Wholehome Premium Error 42

Go to solution

Hi @est1969 welcome to the community and thanks for posting, I'm sorry to see you're experiencing issues setting up your new disc. 

Are your existing discs also premium ones? The different types of discs are not compatible with each other and need to be the same model to work together.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

You can't connect two premium discs to the hub, you have to daisy chain them

"If you're using Premium Whole Home Wi-Fi, you can't. Only your first disc can be connected to the hub (router) using an Ethernet cable. If you wish to connect more discs by Ethernet, you'll need to connect them to the Ethernet port on another disc. You can also use the Ethernet ports on these discs for devices such as TVs and printers."

https://www.bt.com/help/user-guides/bt-whole-home-wi-fi-faqs---set-up-and-installation

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Sorry didn't explain myself very well , the app set up said I needed to connect new premium disc to router for initial set up , I want new disc to standalone not using ethernet connection to HH6 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Assuming that your old discs are also premium, then you still have the problem of not being  able to connect more than one of them to your hub  by cable. Try disconnecting the new one from the hub and connecting it to the ethernet port on one of the old discs instead.

If your old ones are not premium then it's a no go regardless of what you try

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution
Thanks for help was trying to add a premium disc to an older disc set up
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution
Thanks Neil - Could anyone point me in the right direction for the correct disc I need to purchase or if I can indeed still purchase additional disc for my setup which is about 3 years old its
marked on the reverse of the disc with the old logo BT Whole Home Wifi - I can't figure out if any of the current range is compatible any help grateful received
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

@est1969 yes no problem, it sounds like you have the original Whole home wifi discs.  Check out this link which shows you the three different types of discs. Are the ones you have the same as the ones shown in the first picture?

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution
Yes , the ones in the 1st picture, I thought this might be the add-on I needed but wanted to check

https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-add-on-disc-for-whole-home-wi-fi-091073-CVVT.html

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

@est1969 Yes, that's the one you need. 

Thanks

Neil