cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gizze
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

BT Wholehome so slow. One disc 80mbps add a second drops to 2mpbs???

I have been running this set up for the last few months, all been great. 

With 3 discs set up, 2 ethernet, one wifi I was getting full speed from my internet, even moving outside it didn't drop below 50mbps. 

Ethernet in hallway, other ethernet in main room just off hallway, and the wifi one is in sitting room off hallway the other end of it. 

However, they updated and noticed it started to get sluggish. Saw there was another update so after wrsetling with it to update for hours it eventually did. 

When I set it up again I put the first/primary one in the main room, with a single disc it is full speed. However the minute I add a second disc, it drops to silly slow speeds again. 

Anyone have any idea what is going wrong? 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
B1998
Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Wholehome so slow. One disc 80mbps add a second drops to 2mpbs???

Give it a couple of days to settle in its final configuration.
0 Ratings
gizze
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Well it had a fortnight or more with the 12.0.4 firmware. 

This 12.0.5 firmware has been on for 2 days, but the system just grinds to a halt. I can't use Sonos, can't use certain websites. 

What does waiting acheive? What happens? 

I am back with one disc, but even that now has dropped from full speed to 1.35mbps.

Screen Shot 2018-07-01 at 09.56.27.png

If I connect to the router, which is actually in my business below, so 3 rooms away and through thick Victorian walls and sound deadening boards and stuck in a cupboard etc. it is a far more respectable 37mpbs. Prtoblem is, I can't get a decent speed in the room I sit 90% of the time. 

Why is there only 3 channels to choose? There are loads of other wifi ssids I can see when I scan, and all seem to be on the same 3 channels for 2.4 and 5ghz. Does that make a difference? 

I really just need to get up and running asap as I have two days to get some video sent to someone. I bought these from Maplin, so can't return them, and don't want to ditch them as it was a superb system until a few weeks ago. Just want them to work. 

Has anyone used another mesh system they can recommend?

0 Ratings
gizze
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

OK, so I have stripped the system down adding one thing at a time back in. 

If I go router to disc I get 60mbps on my macbook, it is a 12" and the wifi is limited to this I think as my MBP will get 78mpbs everytime. 

Anyway, with one disc plugged in it is fine. 

The minute I plug a network switch between the router and the and the disc so I can run my ethernet back into my main room where the TV, Sonos, Sky and the next Wholehome disc are hooked up it drops in speed to around 8mpbs. 

I also have an older Apple Airport Extreme that I had plugged into the switch with a usb drive attached to do my time machine back ups. I pulled out the switch and used this instead, just as a switch wifi etc. all off, and full speed still.  

I then unplugged the switch in the main room too, everything unplugged from ethernet and just one cable running to the second wholehome disc. Full speed. The minute I plug back in a switch, any of the three I have it drops to around 36mpbs. 

So for now I am running......

Router-Disc 1-Apple Extreme as swicth-Disc 2

......and getting full speed, but everything else hooked up wifi, TV, Sony, Sky, PS4, Nintendo Switch etc. 

I will see how this goes, maybe I need to read some reviews of decent switches and short ethernet cables? 

I haven't dare turn on disc 3 yet. Haha

But, what changed in firmware 12.0.4 and 12.0.5 to suddendly give this issue? 

0 Ratings
B1998
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Not sure. From your first post, it seems that after the update you moved the disc to a different place, so it could have something to do with that?

Can you also clarify what you mean with "Router-Disc 1-Apple Extreme as swicth-Disc 2"? Do I understand that you're plugging Disc 2 into Disc 1 through the switch? If so that's not supported (there was a response on another post about that); ethernet connection can only be done direct back to the router.

Finally, the waiting 2 days to settle I mention earlier on is about your system discovering your home layout and performance and finding the best configuration. It'll take a bit of time as it adjusts to your environment.

0 Ratings
gizze
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

No, didn't move the discs at all. As soon as the 12.0.4 update happened it slowed down, everything was the same. 

I put...

Router-Disc 1-Apple Extreme as swicth-Disc 2

I meant..

Router-Apple Extreme as swicth-Disc 1 and Disc 2 ethernet. 

I have not bothered with the 3rd disc, I was using Roon for music with a raspberry pi which had weak wifi, the Sonos is getting Disc 2 in the hallway no problem anyway. 

Also, I was streaming 4k from Netflix and did a speedtest at the same time and still get 60mbps, so don't feel I need to hardwire the TV etc. now. 

I guess the wifi is the best it has been, but does seem some switches these really don't like, just lucky the apple one seems to be transparant. 

0 Ratings
wenklaw
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 8

For those running unmanaged switches, I would replace with a managed switch.  I had issues with my set-up when i had an unmanaged switch particulary with multicast traffic.

Not saying that is the cause but IMO if your home set-up is beyond just the router and devices like laptops, TV, games consoles connecting directly to it via ethernet or WiFi, employing an unmanaged switch and installing the whole home discs on top of unmanaged switches, maybe powerlines, maybe third party routers, multicast TV etc etc is just asking for trouble. 

A £25 tplink managed switch (which replaced my unmanaged tplink switch) resolved all my issues without any configuration, out the box it did what it was meant to.

TP-Link TL-SG108E or 105E do the job, i have the 108E

0 Ratings
gizze
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Thanks for that, I will grab one and see how I get on. 

0 Ratings