Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
theredberet
Beginner
Message 1 of 21

BT Wi-Fi extender 300 issue

Go to solution

I have installed a BT Wi-Fi extender 300 which has linked to my hub but any devices I try to link to the extender fail because they recognize the extender but with the -extension of the actual hub not the extender therefore the wireless key is not valid. I have tried the key from both the extender & the hub but neither work. What do I need to do?

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 21

Re: BT Wi-Fi extender 300 issue

Go to solution

@theredberet 

You need to add the SSID from the extender, to the list of wireless networks that your device can connect to, so you will have two entries, one for the BT home hub SSID, and another for the extender SSID,

0 Ratings
theredberet
Beginner
Message 3 of 21

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply.

Please allow for incompetence but

The Extender SSID is in the list but the characters at the end of the code -  *** are not the ones that the extender has printed on it or on its paperwork. The characters -*** are the same as the Hub. The device recognizes both the extender &  the Hub and states that the extender has a good signal but the hub has a poor signal. I couldn't previously connect to the hub directly hence the installation of the extender.

I have just tried to connect to the hub directly and it appears to be connected whether this is through the extender or directly to the hub I do not know.

0 Ratings
Darren_B
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 4 of 21

Go to solution

Hi theredberet,

Firstly, could you confirm which Wi-Fi 300 extender you are having trouble with.  Please see below for an image of the 2 versions.

BT Wi-Fi Ext 300 ComparisonBT Wi-Fi Ext 300 Comparison

Secondly, what SSID are you seeing in the connection manager of your device(s)

BTWifiExtndr-XXX (where XXX is 3 random characters)

or something like

EXT-<Your BT Hub SSID> (e.g. EXT-BTHub5-7DES)

0 Ratings
theredberet
Beginner
Message 5 of 21

Go to solution

Hello,

Thansk for getting back to me.

The extender is a BT Wi-Fi Extender 300 (the image on the right in your post).

In the list of avaiable networks shown on my device the Extender is

BTWifiExtndr-K3Z

the hub appears as

BTHub6-7R2F

The extender reports a good connection.

The Hub reports a poor connection.

The supplied key for the extender doesn't connect to the extender.

The key for Hub does connect to the Hub.

The device is now working but I don't know if the signal is coming through the extender or is coming direct from the Hub.

My rationale being that I couldn't connect to the directly before the extender was installed.

I suppose to find out I could unplug the extender but whilst it is working I am reluctant to do so (plus it will mean I have wasted my money on the extender)  😞

Regards

Trevor S

0 Ratings
Darren_B
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 6 of 21

Go to solution

Hi Trevor,

Thanks for getting back to me. The extender is broadcasting it's default SSID, which means that the Extender has not yet been configured with your hub (if it had, you'd see EXT2-BTHub-7R2F).

Have you tried completing the setup again?

1. Plug the extender into a power socket near your broadband wireless router (e.g. in the same room). Check the extender On/Off button on the top is switched on. Wait 20 seconds for the extender to boot up. The Power light will be steady green and the Too close and Too far red lights will be flashing together.

2. Press the WPS button on your router.

3. Press the WPS button on the extender (for 1 second) within 2 minutes.

4. Wait until the WPS light stops flashing and one of the range lights is solid.  The extender is now configured with your hub/router, and you’re ready to move the extender to the optimal place.

If you could try the above again and post back here with the outcome.

Thanks

Darren_B

0 Ratings
Darren_B
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 7 of 21

Go to solution
Hi Trevor,

I've just been made aware that there may be an intermittent issue which causes the WPS configuration method to fail when used with a Hub 6.

So if my previous post doesn't resolve the issue, could you try the following:

1. Factory reset the device (via the pinhole on top)

2. Use the "Method 2 - without WPS button" from the user guide

Note: please ensure that the PC/Laptop used in Step 2 is not connected to the Internet.

Post back with you how you get on.

Many Thanks

Darren_B

theredberet
Beginner
Message 8 of 21

Go to solution

Hello, I couldn't link the extender to the hub using method 1 but did wirelessly using method 2. The device I was trying to connect ( an Amazon fire stick still wouldn't connect but when I tried my laptop in the same area it did connect. I had read on other sites that the TV I was using may not have the USB power output to drive the firestick so I used a plug in USB adaptor. This configuration did connect to the extender with good connectivity. Thank you for your help I think this is now solved.

0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 9 of 21

Go to solution

Thanks for letting us know you got this sorted @theredberet (fantastic result) and major thanks to @Darren_B for all the help and advice.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
eggman611
Beginner
Message 10 of 21

Go to solution

Hi

Im having issues with my bt extender 300. I have the one pictured on the left. Ive connected it to my router but cant seem to connect devices. the password is correct so I dont know what to do. Ive factory reset it and still same problem.

0 Ratings