cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
headcovers
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

BT Wifi Extender 600 - Can't access using BT Device Configuration tool

I have been experiencing internet connection loss on a regular basis over the past month.  It happens at least 1--20 times a day, which might not sound much, but I work from home and rely on a steady and good connection all day and night.

I have BT infinity and purchased a BT Home Hub 6 and to ensure reach throughout the house I have a BT Dual Band Wifi Extender 600.  It has all been working fairly well until about a month ago when the dropouts started.  The android devices lose connection and then keep trying to resolve the IP address, but continually fail and get caught in a loop.  This can happen for one device, whilst others continue to work fine, but it has happened to all devices (2 android phone, 2 android tablets, 2 work laptops and 1 personal laptop).  It cannot therefore be related to a device issue.

Working through several solutions (including calling BT for help, but all they did was suggest I seperated 2.4 ghz from 5ghz, which didn't work) I finally found that turning the BT Wifi extender off, waiting 20 secs and then turning it on again - followed by turning the WiFi off and then on again on the affected device solves the problem.

Assuming that the extender was at fault, I reset it - no luck.  I connected by ethernet to check the sofware was up to date - it is.  I then thought that I might be able to view it separately from the main hub to see the advanced settings.  I downloaded the BT Device Configuration Tool, however when I open it - it doesn't show any hubs, neither the main one, not the extender.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled - no luck.

So - I've run out of ideas.

My questions are - how to solve these dropouts and resolve this "obtaining IP address" issue? Why won't the BT device config tool show my devices (wifi or ethernet).  Any other way to separate out the extender to view it separately over the network?  Or just anything to stop these continual dropouts of connection!!

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT Wifi Extender 600 - Can't access using BT Device Configuration tool

@headcovers

Wireless extenders (repeaters) are always going to be hit and miss. They also reduce the download speed owing to the fact that they have to receive, then re-transmit the data on the same channel. They only use the 2.4G from the home hub for the backhaul, so any interference on the backhaul channel is going to cause dropouts.

This is a better option http://www.shop.bt.com/mini-sites/connected-home/home-hotspots

0 Ratings
Nickbash
Message 3 of 9

So is the BT Hot Spot much more efffective than Wifi Extenders?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Yes

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

Yes again, because the generate their own wireless network, and do not simply repeat the home hubs poor signal.

If you do decide to try them, do not use the option to clone the home hub settings, just let them transmit their own hotspot, so you can identify them.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

The catch22 with wifi extenders is that you can never site them in the optimum location, if you could you wouldn't need one!!

0 Ratings
headcovers
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

I didn't get the option with the BT WI-FI extender 600 to have a separate id. That's what I'm trying to do. How can I do that? 

0 Ratings
headcovers
Contributor
Message 8 of 9

In the absence of any further advice, I've purchased the Hotspot you recommended. It has a 3 year warranty so if that goes T. U, like the extender,  then at least I've got a chance of getting it sorted. 

I'd still appreciate some support from any BT agents on here about why I can't get the BT device configuration tool to show my devices though. Any help? 

0 Ratings
Bazos
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

The tool actually works properly and is very good but hidden away!

Its here:

http://btsupport.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/45220/c/6555

0 Ratings