cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 10

BT box on wall

Hi 

I've just moved into my new home and there is a white box 21 cm X 25 cm screwed to the wall just behind the TV. inside are 2 BT openreach boxes the largest box has

Tel 1 ,port 1, LOS , PON & power lights at the top. The other smaller box has

Status , fault , charging lights at the bottom

What is it ? Does my WiFi connect to it? At the moment the sky man connected my WiFi to the phone socket in the kitchen. If it's not useful I'm getting rid. Thanks in advance. Dave

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT box on wall

thats an ONT which is for FTTP - fibre to the home.  by wifi connected to phone socket I assume you mean the sky router.  you should have ordered FTTP not FTTC

the box is property of openreach so you cannot 'just get rid of it'

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 10

Wow that's alot of abbreviations there captain way over my head could you say it again in a language I understand.
To cut along story short do I need it ? If not BT can have it back.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

FTTP- fibre to the premises could give you a connection speed with BT of about 900mb whereas using phone socket for router will get you FTTC - fibre to the cabinet -  and then existing copper cable from cab to home with max speed 80mb

the ONT belongs to Openreach not BT

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 10

Thanks , you are right the router is from sky 

I'll switch if off. Not needed. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

sorry I just cannot understand when you have FTTP available why you are not getting that from SKY.  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 10

Me too. A asked the sky engineer all about it and he said it wasn't his field of expertise.basically he didn't know. He just plugged it into the phone socket set up the TV and left. 

I've no idea how the internet and WiFi works I just use it. 

Even the guy I bought the house off didn't know either.  Can I plug the sky WiFi into the box ? Is the plug compatible to the sockets in the box. It's all very confusing. 

My phone and WiFi is from sky not BT. 

Any advice would be much appreciated. 

Cheers dave

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

you can't use the box - ONT- as that is for FTTP which you don't have

you now need to start posting on the SKY community forum as this forum is for customers of BT Retail

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 10

Thank you for your help 

Stay safe. Dave

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 10

Some property’s have both fibre to the premises and copper wire service, presumably the person in that address before you , upgraded to FTTP to benefit from the faster speeds and reliability that FTTP offers, but the older copper wire service still exist.
If Sky are your provider , rather than use the FTTP , they are presumably going to use the older slower copper wires to provide your service ( Sky have only recently started to offer FTTP, when you ordered Sky broadband they probably could only offer slower regular broadband , even if the call it ‘fibre’, it’s only to the cabinet , not all the way into the house ) 
If you remove the FTTP optical network termination ( ONT) then should you ever want faster more reliable service , obviously you will have made that more difficult and possibly more costly , turn it off if you want, but don’t remove or damage it, if not for your own benefit  but should anyone move in after you, for them

0 Ratings