Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Calendar44-56
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

BT corded phone does not work now I have replaced the cable

Hello

This is a frustrating small issue.  I have searched the internet but cannot find an answer to something that I am sure should be easy.

our mobile signal is very poor and we are prone to power cuts as well. We therefore have a basic BT corded phone as our landline. We have our main socket in one place and an extension in another room.

The cable between phone and socket got damaged, so I purchased a new one. The phone still works in either socket, except it does not ring for incoming calls.  I purchased what was meant to be a BT compatible cable so not sure why there is no ring tone.

I have a spare phone, different make, so tried that cable but no luck.  I have checked the connectors/wires at both ends of the three cables (damaged/replacement/spare non BT phone) and they all appear to be identical with the same number of wires in the connectors.

I can go and buy another phone but it seems a waste when there is a perfectly good phone that will end up at the tip.

If anyone knows why I have this issue, it would be appreciated.

many thanks

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT corded phone does not work now I have replaced the cable

@Calendar44-56 

Who provides your phone service?

If you are still with Virgin Media, then its most likely to be an issue with their phone system, and the way that ringing is sent out. Or it could be that your VM phone socket is wired differently, and non-standard.

I see you had a past problem with a BT Decor 2200.

0 Ratings
Calendar44-56
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Thank you. According to Virgin the line coming into the house is ok (they came and checked)and there is nothing wrong at their end.

The old cable worked fine until it was damaged so I did not think it would be anything connected with Virgin.  The second phone works with its existing cable, so I tested the new extension cable on that one too. Same problem. I then purchased a different replacement cable but again no luck on either phone. The wiring at each end of the cable appears to be exactly the same when I check.

I  still have the issue of being unable to increase the ringing volume on the second phone but have given up on that.  One of the reasons I need a second phone, as they are in different areas of the house.

I was going to get a private engineer to check but as Virgin say nothing wrong with the line, inside and out, I was trying to find out if it was something obvious. 

thank you

0 Ratings
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 6

Try plugging the phone into an adsl broadband filter and then plug that into your telephone socket. 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Calendar44-56
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Thank you for your suggestion. I will get one and try it and let you know. Much appreciated.

0 Ratings
Calendar44-56
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Thank you for your suggestion. I bought the filter but it does not work with either phone, no bell and no dial tone.

I will have to buy a new phone. I appreciate your time and effort.

thank you

0 Ratings