cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 25

BT doesn't support port forwarding

I spoke to BT this morning and they say they don't support port forwarding on the Smart hub 2?

Is this true?

While upnp will open ports 3659, 9308 UDP they are never open. Even when running the program. 

Port forwarding has zero effect too.

Only port that is ever open on the device is 9295 which isn't on the UPNP list or port forwarded.

Anyone have any idea how to fix this please. Thanks  

0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25

Re: BT doesn't support port forwarding

The SH2 does support port forwarding, no idea why you were told it doesn't.

Factory reset the hub, turn off Smart Setup and UPnP and try again. It is best to disable UPnP if port forwarding.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 25

I don't think a lot of their staff have a clue tbh, or they just find it easier fobbing people off.

I have tried factory reset and disabling upnp already but nothing helps. 

For some reason I don't have the option to disable smart setup on my router.

I log in and the option has been taken away 🙃 

Even with port forwarding set up or upnp enabled I get the same result. Only port open is 9295 .

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 25

I'm certain there is something wrong.

I can literally factory reset most devices in my house along with the SH2 but all the devices with retain their previous IP address like it is stored elsewhere. 

My LAN ip's never change , static or dynamic it doesn't matter.

I have so many problems but nothing ever gets sorted.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 25

@Jaysnp101 

Devices will not change their IP address, unless they request a new one. You have to factory reset the home hub to remove any stored IP entries, a normal restart does not do that.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 25

Sorry @Keith_Beddoe I did mention in the last message that I can factory reset all devices in my house including the SH2 and they will retain their original IP's.

Any reason why?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 25

@Jaysnp101 wrote:

Sorry @Keith_Beddoe I did mention in the last message that I can factory reset all devices in my house including the SH2 and they will retain their original IP's.

Any reason why?

I do not use a BT Home hub owing to similar issues in the past, so you will have to see if someone else can offer some help.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 25

There has to be an algorithm somewhere that seeds how DHCP allocates IP addresses, it probably just allocates the same ones each time the hub is factory reset. Why does it matter?

If you want to be totally in control of IP addresses, simply turn off DHCP on the hub and allocate the addresses manually on each device.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 25

Yeah I agree there must be an algorithm holding the devices that were connected along with their IPs but what other information are they holding onto?

Could be why upnp and port forwarding doesn't work properly.

Surely outside of the router though they shouldn't be holding that information? 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 25

I have no idea why you consider devices keeping their IP addresses a problem. It is essential that they do if port forwarding is to work.

All I can say is port forwarding works fine for me on an SH2, so its not a general problem.

0 Ratings