cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrBoy
Contributor
Message 1 of 2

BT mesh WiFi... Coverage and status autumn 2018?

Our first foray into mesh WiFi was with the Tenda Nova. Great until it died.

BTs product is very price competitive and reviews are quite good but clearly the features have changed over time and there was a news story about a problem update early this year.

How does it compare to other options like Google in late 2018, price aside?

And one specific question, do you need more units for BT than other systems? We only needed 2 Tenda cubes for our large, Victorian house but I've seen people say they need 4 or 5 BT discs!
Given I can get a 2 disc set for £100 or 3 for 170, with individual discs at 70, I wonder about buying two sets of 2. Or should 3 really be sufficient unless I'm a footballer?
0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
B1998
Contributor
Message 2 of 2

Re: BT mesh WiFi... Coverage and status autumn 2018?

@MrBoywrote:
Our first foray into mesh WiFi was with the Tenda Nova. Great until it died.

BTs product is very price competitive and reviews are quite good but clearly the features have changed over time and there was a news story about a problem update early this year.

How does it compare to other options like Google in late 2018, price aside?

And one specific question, do you need more units for BT than other systems? We only needed 2 Tenda cubes for our large, Victorian house but I've seen people say they need 4 or 5 BT discs!
Given I can get a 2 disc set for £100 or 3 for 170, with individual discs at 70, I wonder about buying two sets of 2. Or should 3 really be sufficient unless I'm a footballer?

To be honest, you're unlikely to get a reliable response from anyone because very few people will have reliably compared both the Google and BT product in a like for like environment. Or if they have it'll be anecdotal and not very reliable.

It's probably safe to say that all these whole home mesh systems from reputable brands basically work for most people - they're getting good reviews in magazines and they seem to be everywhere in shops.

Of course you see on forums people who have problems - that's true of Google Wifi or BT or any other products. And you have to remember that happy people don't tend to post on forums Smiley Happy Different environment will have different issues and no-one can reliably say that one product is better than another (at comparable price of course) just based on their own experience alone. The same applies whether people need 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 discs; it all depends on your environment, your house, its size, type of walls, etc. So there are no set rules.

Regarding BT product specifically: it seems to work fine with the latest app and firmware releases, and some really good new features were added earlier this year like parental control. There are a few glitches left which the BT team have posted elsewhere will get fixed soon, but nothing major (in my experience anyway!). Have a look at other posts on this forum to make up your own mind, but remember the caveat above as many problems probably won't apply to you.

So if you like the BT brand and the price, then go for it. For now - unless you have a mansion - you probably can ignore the people who say you need 4  - 5 discs. Get 3 which is the standard pack. Then if you find you need more you can always buy add-ons individual discs to increase your system. Or you could get a 2 pack and an add-on and return the add-on if you don't need it.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your choice.

0 Ratings