cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

BT premium discs - remote disc disconnecting

I know there’s issues with BT Premium Discs but from what I’ve read many seem to be with regards to the master disc. My main issue is the master disc disconnecting from other discs which is frustrating when the disconnected disc drops the internet connection for all devices connected. 
The signal between the discs is described at excellent so it’s not a distance issue, probably just more of a wireless connection issue. Would powerline adaptors help with this for the short term?
Also, is the issue I describe a common issue with the lastest firmware? It’s just that when I got them just after Christmas they seems to be pretty constant and requires very few reboots or power cycles. 

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 13

Re: BT premium discs - remote disc disconnecting

Hi Garymo,

I've found the most stable setup for my network is to configure them as follows:

1) Connect the main disc directly to a port on your main router (wired)

2) Connect the second and third discs wirelessly to the main disc and avoid wired ethernet as this seems to be unstable in the latest firmware update.

3) Visit btwhole.home which should take you to web interface of the master disc. Set a fixed IP address for each of your discs. For some reason (presumably DHCP related) the whole system seems to stay connected with a fixed address. If I allow them to obtain an IP address from DHCP they soon become disconnected.

It is with this configuration I found them to be at their most reliable, but not quite reliable enough for my needs (sometimes the app says you are not connected to the network when you are etc).

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 13

Thanks for your reply. 
Would it be the same reserving specific IP address from within my Netgear router for the three discs? Or do I need to go further and do exactly as you mentioned?

Definitely something to try though. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 13

Hi GaryMo

If you set a static / fixed IP in your router, as far as the whole home discs are concerned they think they are still dynamically assigned an IP address and as such still need to request the IP address from the router via DHCP which is where it is believed some of the problem lies.

If you set a fixed IP at the disc then the disc will no longer need to request an IP address from the router which can potentially help with the stability.

You will probably want to reserve these IP addresses in your Netgear router as well so your router doesn't allocate that those IP addresses to other devices which will cause more instability. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 13

Thanks again.

Just assigned fixed addresses for all three discs and reserved them within my router so fingers crossed for a little more stability. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 13

Yes, fingers crossed for you.

Before I assigned fixed IP addresses I wasn't able to keep the discs connected for more than an hour or two (if that). 

I found that I was able to get much improved reliability for over 24 hours. It probably would have been longer but I rebooted them as the app lost connection (you are not connected to your whole home network error)

Let us know how you get on.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 13

During the early hours of this morning I yet again had my bedroom disc flashing blue and then red so had to switch it off.

So, for whatever reason this hasn’t worked for me. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 13

Oh no - sorry to send you on a wild goose chase!

It seems that there is a different reason it's unstable for you. What helps one doesn't seem to help another with the Premium Wifi set.

I'm still holding out for a firmware upgrade which will hopefully fixes everything.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 13

No worries and thanks very much for helping. I do appreciate it and messing around with them for a while is a good distraction at the moment. 
Certainly looking forward to a firmware upgrade though!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 13

My three discs worked faultlessly for several months but seemed to disconnect for some reason just after I moved on to Halo 2

Is this just a coincidence?

0 Ratings