cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

BT vision box

My BT Vision box has packed up. It would appear the 160GB hard drive has failed. I have checked it by putting it into an external docking bay on my PC and it is not found at all and I cannot feel any rotation.

Does the failure of the disk stop the blue standby light and red recording light working, or is that a separate issue?

Also, if I replace the disk can it be replaced with a larger disk and and how will I get the operating software back on the disk?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT vision box

Hi @Chris-one  as you mention  a 160GB HDD I guess you really  are talking  about the old BT Vision boxes  rather than a BT Youview  box.  Support for and indeed knowledge  about those boxes is in the distant past. If you have a spare HDD drive you could see what happens  if you replace it. I would suggest though that if you need to buy a HDD that you probably would be better off with buying  a more recent  recorder. Often  a larger capacity  disk can be used but the device may only seek to use the expected capacity.  You may get some answers  on AvForums.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Spoiler
Spoiler
Thank you for your reply. It is a BT vision box not a YouView box.

I didn't want to put in a new hard disk drive if there is an issue with the rest of the box. Although the fan works, I wasn't sure if there is another issue because the blue standby light does not come on. I do have another box, a Topfield, but I hate throwing things away if I can fix them them.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

@Chris-one 

You would not be able to get the operating system downloaded, as the server hosting it was closed down many years ago.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

So I assume the operating system is not on firmware on the motherboard?

If that is the case, there is no point in putting in a replacement disk.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

@Chris-one wrote:

So I assume the operating system is not on firmware on the motherboard?

If that is the case, there is no point in putting in a replacement disk.

I used to own one as part of the original trial, a long time ago.

There was some bootstrap code on the motherboard which established a connection to the old BT Vision servers to download the operating system, which took quite a while. If it cannot see the server, then it will just keep rebooting until it does, so you would be wasting your time.

This was in the days of the original Home Hub 1, and the addresses of the servers was actually coded into that home hub as part of its firmware.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Thanks for your reply. 

So it looks like the bin is the best place for this box.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

@Chris-one wrote:

Thanks for your reply. 

So it looks like the bin is the best place for this box.

Your local recycling centre will be able deal with that, next time you visit.

0 Ratings