Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pompeypjs
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

BT whole home wifi or new router

Hi all,

Looking for some advice.

I currently have the HH5 and it is not reaching all the bedrooms in my house well enough. I have tried powerline adapters but my electrical circuit doesnt seem to work well with them.

so to solve the issue I have been considering the whole home wifi or a more powerful router to reach those poor signal areas.

Does anyone have any views on which could be the best option? I dont know how good of a router the HH5 is so choosing a more powerful router is proving difficult.

any advice appreciated

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT whole home wifi or new router

If you are getting no signal at all in the bedrooms, then a different router would not help.

If you are getting a weak signal, then a router with two or more external wireless aerials should be much better, as the internal aerials in the home hubs, are not very efficient.

Are you on normal broadband, or BT Infinity?

This post may help https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/Best-router-for-Infinity-2/m-p/1737624#M138926

0 Ratings
pompeypjs
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for the quick reply. I am on BT Infinity.
Both bedrooms are getting a very weak signal, between -60 and -70
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

@pompeypjs wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply. I am on BT Infinity.
Both bedrooms are getting a very weak signal, between -60 and -70

Then a better router should help, provided it has external aerials.

Take a look at the links I posted on the thread I linked to.

One example

9980.jpg

This is the TP-LINK Archer VR600 AC1600 Mbps Wireless Dual Band VDSL/ADSL2 Gigabit Modem

The cheapest one with external aerials is the TP-Link TD-W9970, about £30, available locally. It may be worth a try.

0 Ratings
flamethrower
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 8

The nice thing with external aerials as Keith suggests is that you can orientate them in different directions to give better coverage in particular planes.

Just out of interest, how far away are the bedrooms from the current router? Presumably the master socket is in a downstairs corner. There can be different things affecting signal strength, e.g. some materials absorb wifi signals more than others, and the signal strength gets weaker as the square of the distance. 5GHz typically has worse distance and absorption characteristics.

Another option is to get a third party modem, e.g. Draytek Vigor 130, and postiion a wifi access point around the centre of the house (if you can run an ethernet cable or have good enough wiring to HomePlug between the modem and AP). Generally you'll get better coverage from there. You can use the HH5 as the wireless access point or buy one. You might try moving the HH5 to middle of your house and seeing what the wifi coverage looks like with a wifi analyzer app.

I think Whole Home is likely to be easier for most people and simplifies dealing with BT customer support should you ever need to contact them. I use completely custom gear, but keep a HH around to plug in should I need to speak to BT.

pompeypjs
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

The bedrooms are not that far away so I think there must be some thick walls blocking the signal. That's why I thought the whole home wifi might be a better solution.

My HH is tucked away in a corner due to the availability of the phone and electrical points.
0 Ratings
flamethrower
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 8

If you plot a path with 3 base stations that don't encounter too many walls or ceilings to go through then Whole Home WiFi (or any other mesh solution) seems like a safe bet. Obviously, which ever way you go, you can always return the gear if it doesn't work as advertised.

0 Ratings
pompeypjs
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.
0 Ratings